Spring 2020 Grading Information

Student Information

 On April 1, 2020, the Provost announced his decision to accept a motion approved by the Faculty Senate to revise our policy for undergraduate “credit satisfactory/credit deficiency/no credit (CS/CD/NC)” and graduate “satisfactory/unsatisfactory (S/U)” grading for the Spring 2020 semester only.  

Undergraduate students may apply for credit satisfactory/credit deficiency/no credit (CS/CD/NC)” grading and graduate students may apply for "satisfactory/unsatisfactory (S/U)" grading on eligible courses beginning April 9th through May 1st.       

Students who wish to retain a letter grade for a course in which they are currently enrolled need not take any further action.

Process for Requesting CS/CD/NC or S/U Grading Option:

The following process is required to submit a request for a credit satisfactory/credit deficiency/no credit or satisfactory/unsatisfactory grade this semester.

The student will:

  • Review the list of factors and frequently asked questions to consider, below, before applying to change your grading option: CS/CD/NC for undergraduate or S/U for graduate. The factors are also enumerated on a “Request for CS/CD/NC or S/U Grading Option Form” that students must submit.  Students must confirm that they have considered these factors before applying for an alternate grading mode.
  • Contact his/her advisor (undergraduate) or program director (graduate) to discuss if taking a course(s) with a CS/CD/NC or S/U grading mode, respectively, is the best choice given individual circumstances.
  • Contact any other pertinent individuals who may help guide their decision-making process, such as the Office of Financial Aid, their pre-health or pre-law advisor, or their employer.
  • Carefully think through this grading option before submitting the request form, as the University cannot anticipate all future unintended consequences of your CS/CD/NC or S/U grading selection.
  • Prepare a list of course subjects, course numbers and course “CRNs” for which the student plans to seek an alternate grading mode (i.e. ACC252, crn 31624 and T/RS122, crn 31391). This list will be needed to complete the request form, which can accommodate multiple requested courses.
  • By no later than 11:59 PM on May 1, file an Request for CS/CD/NC Grading Form (undergraduate) or Request for S/U Grading Form (graduate) both of which can be accessed from the “Students” page of the My.Scranton portal, under the Student Links/Academic Record Information section, as shown below.  One form is permitted per student.


An advisor/program director will:

  • Review and discuss the factors to consider with you before you request the CS/CD/NC (undergraduate) or S/U (graduate) grading option.
  • Review and approve the courses eligible for CS/CD/NC or S/U grading after you submit a Request for CS/CD/NC or S/U Grading Option Form. Advisors will conclude their review of requests on Tuesday, May 5.

The Dean's Office will:

  • Review the Request for CS/CD/NC or S/U Grading Option Form and render a final decision on the student’s request.
  • Contact the student if a request is denied.
  • Forward the appropriate information to the Office of the Registrar and Academic Services for processing no later than Thursday, May 7.

The Office of the Registrar and Academic Services will:

  • Ensure that student records are updated to reflect approved change of grade mode requests no later than Monday, May 11.
  • Email each student a confirmation once the request has been processed.

Please contact your advisor, Dean's Office or Office of the Registrar and Academic Services should you have any questions.