Additional Information

Schedule Changes

Students may add courses only through the fifth class-day from the start of a fall or spring semester, or the second class day of a compressed term. Web registration is open to both add and drop courses during this time. After the last day to add, web registration shuts down and course drops and withdrawals must be processed through the advising center or dean's office of the student's home college. For specific instructions about dropping courses after web registration shuts down, refer to the academic catalogs at

Course Closings and Cancellations

Course sections may close without notice anytime during the registration period. Prepare for closings by selecting alternatives prior to your day and time of registration. The University reserves the right to cancel or close a class, change instructor or time and classroom assignments and does not guarantee seats in any class.

Credit/No Credit and Audit Grade Options

Special course grade options such as Credit/No Credit and Audit must be declared in person after you register for the course by web.

Internships, Readers and Independent Study

To register for internships, readers, independent study and other special learning and research activities not listed in the course schedule, you must complete the appropriate form and add the course in person after your initial registration date but before the last day to add courses per the academic calendar.

Credit Overload

To register for a credit overload, you must register for the additional credits in person at the advising center or dean's office of your college after you register for a normal course load by web.

Marywood University Cross-registration

To register for courses offered at Marywood University through the cross-registration agreement, you must register in person in your dean's office after you register for your regular courses by web. For more detailed information, refer to your catalog.


Program and course descriptions, pre- and co-requisites, other restrictions, tuition and course fees may be found in the University catalogs at

Student Responsibility

Students are responsible for the accuracy and validity of all transactions through web registration. In addition, students are responsible for selecting courses approved by their advisor and appropriate to their major or program of study. Unauthorized or improper use of web registration, UIS, and My Scranton is prohibited. All individual transactions can be traced to the user.

Academic Calendar

Students are responsible for checking the academic calendar for important dates and deadlines, such as the last day to add courses, drop courses with no grade, or withdraw from courses with "W" grades. The academic calendar may be viewed at this link:

Enrollment Status

To be considered a full-time student, an undergraduate student must be registered for 12 or more credits in a given semester or term. A graduate student must be registered for 6 credits in a given semester or term.

Withdrawal from the University

Information about complete withdrawal from the University or leave of absence may be found in the University catalogs at

Reminder to All Students to Access University Email Accounts

In accordance with University policy, all students are expected to access their University e-mail account on a weekly basis; however, daily access is recommended to stay abreast of important time-sensitive information.

Demographic Information

Students should report all changes in student demographic information to the Office of the Registrar and Academic Services.  Information to be reported immediately includes change of name, marital status, home address, home telephone number, social security number, local addresses and local telephone number.

If you have changed your local address or phone number, please submit a "Student Address Correction Form" to the Office of the Registrar and Academic Services, O'Hara Hall 2nd Floor,  or access the form online.

Student Rights and Confidentiality of Information

The University of Scranton recognizes the privacy rights of individuals who are or who have been students, as guaranteed by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974. To review the University's FERPA policy, refer to the latest undergraduate catalog at

Responsibilities of Advisees

In order to enable advisors to serve them most effectively, students need to assume responsibility for keeping their advisors informed of changes in their programs and for making themselves aware of University policies and procedures that affect their academic status. Specifically, an advisee should, at a minimum, do the following;

  1. Students should maintain a personal academic file. This file should include an updated CAPP sheet, copies of any schedule changes, and copies of any paperwork relative to grades.
  2. Students should read the Undergraduate and Graduate Catalogs.  Students should become familiar with their major (and minor, if applicable) curriculum, the general education program, and all academic regulations. Students should consult the catalog course description for any course they plan to take, and they should make sure that they have all necessary prerequisites for any course they take.
  3. Students should allow adequate time for advising during registration. Students should consult an advisor's schedule of office hours, and they should make an appointment to see their advisors as early as possible during the registration period. They should examine their CAPP evaluation sheet carefully and bring any potential discrepancies in the evaluation sheet to the attention of their advisors. Students should prepare potential schedules before meeting with their advisors, and they should check to make sure that the courses they plan to take will fit into their degree program.
  4. Students should keep advisors informed of changes in their program. If students declare a minor, concentration, or a second major, they should inform their advisor. If students participate in the SJLA, BLDR or Honors programs, they need to consult both their departmental advisor and their program director. If students study abroad, they should consult with their advisor both early in the planning process and during their time abroad. If students request a substitution or waiver in their degree program, they should inform their advisor. If students make changes in their course schedules after their advisors have approved their registration form, they are responsible for informing advisors of the changes they have made.
  5. Students should keep informed of deadlines within the University calendar.  Timelines for drop-add, course refunds, registration, and application for graduation vary from year to year and students should keep themselves informed of these deadlines.
  6. Students who have transfer or AP credits need to make sure they do not take courses at the University of Scranton that duplicate courses for which they already have credit.  If such courses are not properly entered on a student's CAPP evaluation sheet and/or transcript, the student should consult their academic advising center or Dean's office.

General Education Requirements for Undergraduate Students:

In the undergraduate course listings, a course title preceded by a letter code in parenthesis indicates a course that satisfies a general education requirement in the curriculum.  The letter codes are:

  • (Q): Quantitative Reasoning
  • (CH): Humanities/Culture: History
  • (CL): Humanities/Culture: Literature
  • (CF): Humanities/Culture: World Languages
  • (CA): Humanities/Culture: Arts
  • (CI): Humanities/Culture: Interdisciplinary
  • (E): Natural Science
  • (S): Social/Behavioral Science
  • (P): Philosophy or Theology/Religious Studies
  • (W): Writing Intensive
  • (D): Cultural Diversity

Some courses may have more than one letter code indicating that the course satisfies multiple requirements.

Scroll to Top