Spring 2020 Move Out Information

The Spring 2020 semester is coming to a close.  Most students departed campus in March leaving various personal belongings in their rooms with the hope that classes would resume on campus during the semester.  Unfortunately, this could not happen.  While Lackawanna County remains under a Stay at Home order, but we have developed a plan that will permit interested students to schedule appointments to return to campus and clear out their Spring 2020 residence hall rooms.

The move out process will take place from Tuesday, May 19 until Friday, June 5 (including weekends).  Residence Life staff will work individually with students who are unable to come to campus during this timeframe to vacate their rooms. 

Please review all of the information on this page to learn about expectations for this process and the steps you need to take.

For additional information about University operations, please visit the "University COVID-19 Resource Page" (click here)

Students who wish to return to campus to move out their belongings must follow the steps below:

  1. Request an appointment 72 hours in advance by using the link(s) on the appointment tab 
  2. Receive an appointment confirmation from Residence Life after your screening is reviewed, typically 24 hours prior to your appointment.
  3. Complete COVID-19 Screening Form at least 24 hours prior to coming to campus (will be emailed to student).  This must be completed for each person traveling to campus.  You will receive this form 2 - 3 days prior to your visit to campus.  Please complete it as soon as possible.
  4. Receive final approval to visit campus.
  5. Arrive during appointment time and remove belongings from residence hall
  6. Place trash in appropriate locations as instructed
  7. Return room key as instructed.
To ensure the University conforms with physical distancing guidelines, students are only permitted to come to campus if they have a confirmed appointment.  Appointments are available daily from 9-11 a.m., 12-2 p.m., and 3-5 p.m.  Students are only allowed to bring two additional persons with them.  Students may not move out of their room at the same time as their roommate(s) or apartment mate(s).  No student is permitted to stay on campus overnight as access to the residence halls is limited to the removal of personal items.
  • All students and their guests must complete the COVID-19 Screening Form at least 24 hours prior to coming to campus for final approval.  The brief questionnaire will be emailed to the student the day prior to their appointment.
  • All students and their guests coming on campus will be required to bring and wear a facemask or cloth face-covering at all times while on campus.
  • One guest can accompany students into the unit or residence hall while the other must remain at the vehicle loading the belongings.
  • Use hand sanitizer which will be located near the entrance of each residence hall.
  • Minimize interactions with friends, staff, or other persons on campus (social distancing).
  • If you or your guests are not feeling well prior to coming to campus, please call the Office of Residence Life to reschedule your move out date and time.
  • If you or your guests develops symptoms of COVID-19 within 48 hours of the move out, please promptly report this to Student Health Services at 570-941-7667.
Additional Considerations
  • Please be mindful of distancing guidelines and all safety requirements as you interact with staff on campus or pass other students and guests in the residence halls.
  • Feel free to bring tools to assist with your move out such as dollies or hand trucks as the University will not be able to provide these on site.

Students may request an appointment time by following the link below.  Please make appointments 72 hours in advance to allow for proper administrative steps.  Please note this time is a request and will need to be confirmed by Residence Life staff to ensure appropriate space between students in the halls.  Residence Life will make every effort to honor the initial appointment request; only available times will show on the request form.  You will receive the health safety screening 2 - 3 days prior to your visit to campus.  Please complete it as soon as possible. You will recive final approval after your screening is reviewed, typically within 24 hours of your appointment.

Move Out Sign-up Links

Blair House, click here
Casey Hall click here
Condron Hall click here
Denis Edward Hall click here
Dorothy Day click here
Driscoll Hall click here
Elizabeth Ann Seton click here
Fitch Hall click here
Gavigan Hall click here
Giblin-Kelly Hall click here
GLM (Gannon-Lavis-MacKillop) click here                                                                                                           
Gonzaga House click here
Hafey Hall click here
Katharine Drexel click here
Lynett Hall click here
Madison Square A click here
Madison Square B click here
Madison Square C click here
Martin Hall click here
McCourt Hall click here
Montrone Hall click here
Nevils Hall click here
Pilarz Hall click here
Quincy Avenue Apartments click here
Redington Hall click here
Romero Plaza A click here
Romero Plaza B click here
Romero Plaza C click here
Romero Plaza D click here
Tioga House click here

Should you encounter any problems access the links above please contact Residence Life at res-life@scranton.edu 


Please review the following frequently asked questions about the moving out of your University housing assignment. Please read them carefully to make the move out process go as smoothly as possible.

What do I need to clean in my room as part of move-out?

All areas of the room/apartment must be swept. All surfaces should be wiped down (including tops of desks & dressers in rooms and stovetops and refrigerator shelves in apartments). Please bring your own cleaning supplies to wipe down your room prior to departure. Be sure to clean behind and under furniture and to empty all drawers. Personal belongings are often forgotten under the beds or inside drawers. All trash must be taken to the designated area for your building. Any items left behind after a student departure will be disposed of.

Are there storage options available during the summer?

The University of Scranton does not offer on-site storage for students.

I rented a Microfridge; what do I need to do to have it picked up?

The Microfridge should be defrosted and thoroughly cleaned. You may leave it in your room, labeled with your name. The company will pick up the Microfridge this summer.

What should I do with my key?

A check out envelope was placed under your door. Please place your key in the enveloped and leave it in any of the campus key drop boxes. A drop bin will be located in the lobby of your residence hall.

If your key is not returned, you may be charged for a lock change and new keys for the room.

What if I lost my key(s) or accidentally took them home after I moved out?

If you lost your key(s), please inform the Office of Residence Life by completing a "Lost Key Form" by following these steps:

  • If you are returning to campus for an approved appointment and do not have your key, please call Residence Life at 570-941-6226 for assistance accessing your room.
  • When a key is lost, we will request a lock change for that room to ensure the security of the space in the future. Lock changes will be billed directly to the student's account.
  • If you moved out and forgot to return your key(s) or you vacated your room at Spring Break, you may mail the key back to the following address. Please be sure to wrap the key in another envelope to prevent the key from being lost in the mail. Please include your hall and room number on the inner envelope.

The University of Scranton
Office of Residence Life
100 Condron Hall
Scranton, PA 18510

What should I do if I (student) am personally unable to return to campus to move out of my room?

If you are unable to move out at this time and you would like to give permission for your roommate or a friend to pack up your belongings, please email res-life@scranton.edu. Please indicate your residence hall and room number in the email.

Can I donate any items I do not need or want?

To ensure a clean and safe environment, we cannot collect any items for donations. Please take all personal items with you or place garbage in the designated areas.

I have other items that are University property. What should I do with them?

Students may have some items that are University or University Bookstore property. Here is some guidance on returning these items:

  • Rented books – The University Bookstore has extended the deadline for returning books to June 30. They prefer books to be mailed. Additional information can be found on the COVID- 19 FAQ page.
  • Library books – There will be a drop bin for returns to the Weinberg Memorial Library. Borrowed books left here will be returned to the library. This includes items from interlibrary Loan as well.
  • Personal mail – Students who are returning to campus housing in August may pick up their mail at that time. Students who are departing housing will have their mail sent to the address the University has on file.
If you have items that need to be returned to other campus departments, please contact Residence Life at res-life@scranton.edu and staff will provide guidance on returning these items.

What should I do if I am unable to return to campus or do not feel safe doing so?

Please contact Residence Life at res-life@scranton.edu.

May I drive my vehicle on campus?

There will be limited traffic permitted on campus. Please follow posted guidance and do not park with any vehicle wheels on the grass. If driving on campus, please park in a manner that provides space between groups. Always drive slowly and be mindful of people walking on campus.

How can the CARES Act support me as a student?

On May 13, Fr. Pilarz shared information with students about the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act which provides a Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund (HERF) designated to assist institutions of higher education. Students are eligible to apply for grant funds “for expenses related to disruptions to their education due to the COVID-19 outbreak, including things like course materials and technology as well as food, housing, health care, and childcare.” Note this could include costs related to moving out of one’s room (e.g., additional travel to campus). Students are encouraged to complete the application by midnight on May 20. For additional information, see the COVID-19 site.