Healthy Eating for College Students
Eating healthy on and off campus means grocery shopping, meal planning, and learning basic cooking skills that you can easily master while in college. With the right shopping list, cooking tools and basic skills, cooking can be a fun activity that leads to healthier diet and saves money! Check out our cooking guide that includes websites, recipe suggestions, and videos created by our Peer Health Education team to learn some new kitchen skills. Let’s get cooking!
Nutrition is essential for bodily functions, growth, good health, and overall well-being. Building a healthy eating style while in college can impact eating habits for the rest of our lives. Check-out the following tips and websites to discover small nutrition changes that may be little victories for you:
- The 6 Essential Nutrients that your Body Needs
- Build a Healthy Eating Style:MyPlate : MyPlate offers ideas and tips to help you create a healthier eating style that meets your individual needs and improves your health.
- How to Read Food Lables: Become familiar with serving sizes, total calories, ingredients, and nutritional values.
- Portion Size Guide
- Keep Track of What You Eat : Keeping track of your food choices can help you identify your good eating habits and improve your nutrition with healthier choices.
- Log with MyFitnessPal: MyFitnessPal is an app that helps you easily track your meals and calories at any time of the day. The app has partnered with Dining Services (ARAMRK) so you can record your very own meals from the 3rd floor Dining Hall in the Denaples Center. Try downloading the app today!
Grocery shopping, meal planning, and basic cooking are all skills that you can easily master while in college. Check out our favorite websites, recipe suggestions, and videos created by our Peer Health Education Team.
- A Healthy Grocery Shopping List
- Meal Planning on a Budget: When the clock reaches 5:00 P.M. do you worry about what you are going to prepare for dinner? Save time, money, and stress less by planning your meals for the week with a few simple tips!
- Check out CHEW's Peer Health Educator Video about Apps that Make Meal Planning Easy!
- Essential Cooking Tools : Make cooking easier by stocking your kitchen with the right tools for the beginner chef.
- CHEW's PHE Team wants to help you stock your kitchen!
- Get Cooking with Easy and Affordable Recipes
Did you know The University of Scranton is one of the top 26 healthy campuses in the country? We are lucky to have a variety of healthy dining options on campus and in our local community! Check out our road map for discovering the healthy eating options on and off campus.
University Dining Services:
- University of Scranton Campus Dining Weekly Menu & Meal Calculator: Check out the weekly specials that are fresh and made-to-order at the Dining Hall located on the 3rd floor of the Denaples Center. Curious to know what you are eating? Try calculating the nutritional value of your meal with the meal calculator by selecting each individual item
- Feed Your Potential 365:Check out this online guide to help you navigate the many food station offered in The University of Scranton Dining Hall and how to eat well on your meal plan.
Farmer's Markets: Did you know that there are two Farmer's Markets in Scranton within walking distance to campus? Support local farms, know where your food comes from and save money by stocking up on freshly grown fruits and veggies!