Vaccination Policy

The University of Scranton requires all students taking classes on campus to have proof of certain vaccinations. As per the American College Health Association and Centers for Disease Control, immunizations offer safe and effective protection from vaccine-preventable diseases and outbreaks. In order to minimize the risk of a campus outbreak, students must provide proof of vaccination/titers or provide a waiver indicating why a student is not vaccinated. Students who are not vaccinated should be aware that in the event of an outbreak they may be required to leave campus and/or not be able to attend class, participate in University activities, or access University facilities/campus buildings. There are limited reasons why a student may waive these requirements under Pennsylvania law. 

Required Vaccinations

Measles, Mumps, Rubella (MMR): Two doses of MMR at least 28 days apart after 12 months of age. Students may submit laboratory titers if unable to provide proof of vaccination.

Tetanus/Diphtheria/Pertussis (Tdap): One dose of Tdap after the age of 11.

Varicella (Chicken Pox): Two doses of vaccine at least 12 weeks apart if vaccinated between 1 and 12 years of age and at least 4 weeks apart if vaccinated at age 13 or older.  Students may submit laboratory titers if unable to provide proof of vaccination.

Meningococcal A, C, Y, W-135 (Meningitis): Pennsylvania State Law prohibits a student from residing in residential housing unless the student has received a one-time vaccination against meningococcal disease. Therefore, ALL residential students must have proof of this vaccine. The University also highly recommends that any local student intending to live off campus with other college students should be vaccinated prior to occupancy. 

An initial dose is given at 11-12 years of age.  A booster dose is recommended at 16 years of age or older.

Vaccine Exemption Requests

Students may request a medical or religious vaccine exemption in accordance with applicable law. Please note that medical vaccine exemption requests, must be accompanied by medical documentation from a healthcare provider that specifies the contraindication along with the Immunization Waiver Request Form. 

Immunization Waiver Request Form  After completing the Immunization Waiver Request Form, please upload your Form and supporting documentation in your Student Health Portal by following the instructions below: 

  • Log into your Student Health Portal 
  • Click “Upload” from the menu bar on the top of the page
  • Choose which document you are uploading from the drop-down list example (i.e., Immunization Waiver Request Form)
    • Please make sure your name, Royal Number and date of birth are all on supporting documentation. 
  • Click select file to see all of your electronic files on your computer or smart phone
  • Click on the electronic file you want to upload
  • Click Upload

Waiver submissions will be reviewed and students will be notified of the status of their Immunization Waiver Request via email.

Recommended Vaccinations

Serogroup B Meningococcal Vaccine: This vaccine is effective against most of the more common meningococcal infections caused by serogroup B.
Hepatitis B: A series of three doses are given.
Influenza: Recommended annually for all members of the campus community.
Human Papilloma Virus (HPV): Two or three doses of vaccine are required depending on the product.
Hepatitis A: Two doses given 6-18 months apart.

COVID -19: CDC recommends that people ages 6 months and older receive at least 1 bivalent mRNA COVID-19 vaccine.


International Student Requirements:

Students who are citizens of other countries may be required to have additional screenings and/or vaccinations in order to attend the University. Documentation must be submitted in English. Please contact the Office of Global Education at 570-941-7575 for more information.

Additional Vaccination Requirements:

Students may also be required to have additional immunizations for clinical, field, student teaching, or other experiential learning requirements/experiences. See your academic college/advisor or program director for more information on such requirements.
Scroll to Top