Institutional Review Board for the Protection of Human Subjects (IRB)
DOES YOUR PROJECT NEED IRB APPROVAL?
- Do you or your students use human subjects in research or class research assignments?
- Do you or your students conduct surveys with any persons or institutions outside of the University of Scranton community?
- Do you or your students use members of the University of Scranton community outside of your own classes?
- Do you or your students plan to publish the results of your project?
- Have you been contacted by any persons outside of the University who wish to use members of the University of Scranton community as research subjects?
|Meeting Date:||Meeting Location:||Protocols Due by 4:30 pm|
|Tuesday, September 21, 2021||BRN500 (PNC)||Tuesday, September 14, 2021|
|Tuesday, October 19, 2021||BRN500 (PNC)||Tuesday, October 12, 2021|
|Tuesday, November 16, 2021||BRN500 (PNC)||Tuesday, November 9, 2021|
|Tuesday, December 21, 2021||TDC||Tuesday, December 14, 2021|
|Tuesday, February 15, 2022||ZOOM||Tuesday, February 8, 2022|
|Tuesday, March 22, 2022||BRN500 (PNC)||Tuesday, March 15, 2022|
|Tuesday, April 19, 2022||BRN500 (PNC)||Tuesday, April 12, 2022|
|Tuesday, May 17, 2022||BRN500 (PNC)||Tuesday, May 10, 2022|
|IRB Committee Members|
|Academic Year 2021-2022|
|Bryan Burnham, Ph.D., Chair||Psychology
|Ovidiu Cocieru, Ph.D.||Management, Marketing, and Entrepreneurship|
|Sabine Charles, M.D., Dr. PH.||Epidemiologist, Lackawanna County|
|Ahmed Gomaa, Ph.D.||Operations and Information Management|
|William Miller, Ph.D.||Health Administration and Human Resources|
|Tabbi Miller-Scandle, Ph.D.||Director, Research & Sponsored Programs|
|Sufyan Mohammed, Ph.D.||Communication|
|Andrew Venezia, Ph.D.||Health and Human Performance|
|Margarete Zalon, Ph.D.||Nursing|
|Donald Bergmann*||Chief of Police|
|Therese Kurilla**||Grants Mgr., Research and Sponsored Programs|
*Ex officio, non-voting
IRB Applications can be found below or at IRBnet.org. All protocols (including new protocols, revisions and renewals, and Departmental Review Board protocols) must be submitted electronically via IRBNet seven (7) days before IRB meeting. See IRB meeting schedule for dates.
Exempt IRB Application (IRB only)
Expedited or Full Review IRB Application (IRB, DRB)
See IRB Policies and Procedures Manual for further information regarding exempt, expedited or full review.
IRB Protocol Guidance
Consent Forms Must have the following. Further guidance can be found here.
“Key information” to be presented at the beginning of the consent form: This part of the informed consent must be organized and presented in a way that facilitates comprehension, and provide sufficient information that a “reasonable person” would want to have. You must address the following five elements:
- That consent is being sought for research and that participation is voluntary
- The purposes of the research, duration of participation, and study procedures
- Foreseeable risks or discomforts
- Potential benefits to subjects or others
- Alternatives to participation
CITI IRB Training Information
This online training program is offered to the University of Scranton community through a contract with the CITI (Collaborative IRB Training Initiative) program. Click here to read about the CITI program. University personnel and students have unlimited access, so we encourage faculty members to use this online training for Research Methods Classes.
Getting started training: IRBNet Training Energizers to help you get started can currently be found at the following link: http://www.irbnetresources.org/tresources/vd/r1.html. When prompted, please enter the institutional login -- Username: scranton and Password: training. You may log in to the training system at any time to begin training.
Submitting revisions training: IRBNet Training Energizers for creating a subsequent package (revisions to original, starting on page 9). Subsequent package training
The University of Scranton IRB Policies and Procedures Manual
OHRP - Office of Human Research Protections, DHHS Comprehensive site for all federal regulations and guidance
HIPAA - Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, DHHS Health records privacy regulations and information
- CITI Training & Resources
- Faculty Grant Writing-Travel Initiative
- Faculty Internal Research Funding
- Faculty Research Committee (FRC)
- Faculty Sabbaticals
- Finding Funding
- Grant Proposal Information
- Grant Proposal Preparation
- Grant Resources Materials
- Policies and Procedures
- Undergraduate Research (SOAR)
- Contact ORSP
- Office of Research and Sponsored Programs
- 800 Linden Street
- Scranton, PA 18510
- The University of Scranton
- Phone: 570-941-6353