Spring 2024 Syllabus Statements (suggested language)

Code of Academic Honesty: The Education Department honors the Academic Code of Honesty as set forth in the University of Scranton’s Policies Governing the University Community.

Mental Health: Many students experience mental health challenges at some point in college. Struggles vary and might be related to academics, anxiety, depression, relationships, grief/loss, substance abuse, and other challenges. There are resources to help you cope and getting help is the smart and courageous thing to do.

  • Counseling Center (6th Floor O’Hara Hall; 570-941-7620) – Free, confidential individual and group counseling is available at the Counseling Center. More information on services offered at the Counseling Center as well as off-campus resources can be found at www.scranton.edu/counseling.
  • Teletherapy – For students who wish to access therapy via video, phone, and/or chat, the University partners with BetterMynd. Please contact the Counseling Center (570-941-7620) to inquire about teletherapy.
  • Mental Health Screenings – A confidential, online “check up from your neck up” to help you determine if you should connect with a mental health professional and guide you to available resources.
  • Dean of Students Office (201 DeNaples Center; 570-941-7680) – Private support and guidance for students navigating personal challenges that may impact success at the University.

Students with Disabilities: Students with Disabilities may be eligible for reasonable academic and non-academic accommodations. Students are required to submit relevant and current documentation of their disability. Students are encouraged to contact the Office of Student Success and Support at disabilityservices@scranton.edu or (570) 941-4038 if they have or think they may have a disability and wish to determine eligibility for any academic accommodations. For non-academic accommodations, students should contact the Office of Equity and Diversity at non-academic-accom@scranton.edu or (570) 941-6645. Students can access accommodate by clicking here

Intake Form – First Time Submitting Documentation https://www.scranton.edu/academics/ctle/disabilities/pages/documents/accommodate-intake-procedures-students.pdf

How to Submit Additional Documentation/Files/Forms https://www.scranton.edu/academics/ctle/disabilities/pages/documents/accommodate-additional-file-procedures-students.pdf

Writing Center Services: The Writing Center is a resource designed to help students at all academic levels become better writers. It is a safe space where students from any discipline can receive one-on-one feedback on written assignments from well-trained peer consultants who support students in any stage of the writing process. Students can make an appointment through the my.scranton portal: my.scranton.edu >Students Tab>Student Resources>OSSS Writing Center Scheduler. For more information, please contact writing-center@scranton.edu.  For quick tips, user-friendly guides, and other writing resources, check out our blog at https://sites.scranton.edu/writingcenter.

My Reporting Obligations as a Required Reporter: As a faculty member, I am deeply invested in the well-being of each student I teach. I am here to assist you with your work in this course. Additionally, if you come to me with other non-course-related concerns, I will do my best to help. It is important for you to know that all faculty members are required to report incidents of sexual harassment or sexual misconduct involving students. This means that I cannot keep information about sexual harassment, sexual assault, sexual exploitation, intimate partner violence or stalking confidential if you share that information with me. I will keep the information as private as I can but am required to bring it to the attention of the University’s Title IX Coordinator, Elizabeth M. Garcia, or Deputy Title IX Coordinator, Diana M. Collins, who, in conversation with you, will explain available support, resources, and options. I will not report anything to anybody without first letting you know and discussing choices as to how to proceed. The University’s Counseling Center (570-941-7620) is available to you as a confidential resource; counselors (in the counseling center) do not have an obligation to report to the Title IX Coordinator.

Non-Discrimination Statement: The University is committed to providing an educational, residential, and working environment that is free from harassment and discrimination. Members of the University community, applicants for employment or admissions, guests, and visitors have the right to be free from harassment or discrimination based on race, color, religion, ancestry, gender, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, genetic information, national origin, veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable law.

Students who believe they have been subject to harassment or discrimination based on any of the above class of characteristics, or experience sexual harassment, sexual misconduct or gender discrimination should contact Elizabeth M. Garcia, Title IX Coordinator, (570) 941-6645 elizabeth.garcia2@scranton.edu, or Deputy Title IX Coordinator Diana Collins (570) 941-6645 diana.collins@scranton.edu. The United States Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights (OCR) enforces Title IX.

Land Acknowledgement: The University of Scranton campus was built on land formerly cared for by the Lenape, the Monsey, the Shawnee, and the Susquehannocks. As we live, learn, and love on this campus, may we be ever mindful of their absence from this place and commit ourselves to stewarding this land with the same level of care and compassion as we navigate our communities towards justice grounded in knowledge and wisdom.

Pronouns Statement: It is easy to make assumptions about what pronouns people use, but I try not to! Using the pronouns that a person has indicated is both professional and polite, so I ask that all members of our class use the appropriate pronouns. If you have questions about this, please feel free to look up more information here (https://www.mypronouns.org/) or email me. 


Scroll to Top