The University of Scranton Mulberry Street wall Hill Section entrance.

Frequently Asked Questions

What English proficiency measures are accepted for admission to The University of Scranton?

The most common exams we accept are the TOEFL and IELTS. Students from majority English-speaking countries do not need to submit an English proficiency examination. 

What programs of study are offered by The University of Scranton?

The University has at least 65 undergraduate and 15 graduate programs of study, all of which are open to international students to apply. Visit the Office of Admissions for a complete list of all undergraduate and graduate degrees. International exchange students may be restricted from a limited number of courses due to pre-requisite requirements. 

How do I find the course offerings for upcoming semesters?

Exchange students applying to the University can list up to 10 courses they are interested in taking during their exchange term. The offerings for upcoming semesters can be found here. Courses will be assigned based on their availability. Students will have an opportunity to meet with their academic advisor prior to the start of the term to finalize scheduling.
Incoming degree-seeking students will have their first semester of courses assigned to them by the University. An opportunity will be available to meet with someone from the academic advising center to confirm the student's schedule prior to the start of the term. Degree-seeking students will register for subsequent terms with the rest of the student body. 

Are international students eligible to live in on-campus housing?

Of course! The Office of Residence Life guarantees housing for all undergraduate students. A limited number of graduate housing spaces are available in the Quincy Avenue Apartments and are filled on a first come-first serve basis. 

What housing arrangements are available to students who do not live on-campus?

Numerous housing opportunities are available to international students and their families. Our city guide contains a list of suggested housing options where many of our current students and international alumni have lived. 

What financial services are available to international students studying at the University?

A variety of banking options are available to international students. PNC  Bank is the University of Scranton's on-campus banking partner. PNC maintains an ATM in the DeNaples Center. PNC account holders can access this ATM without fees. As part of the international student orientation, students will be given the opportunity to open a checking account through PNC Bank, if they choose to do so. 

How much is tuition for international students?

International students are billed at the same rate as domestic students. For the 2021-2022 academic year, undergraduate tuition and fees was $48,462. Tuition does not include housing and living expenses. Graduate courses were billed at a rate of $965 per credit. International students are also required to submit a certified copy of their financial resources in the amount of $68,139 for undergraduates and $50,832 for graduates. Please note this does not reflect the actual cost of tuition.  

Are International Students Eligible to Receive Scholarships and Financial Aid?

Degree seeking international students are eligible for merit-based scholarships and are evaluated in the same manner as domestic students. The University does not offer scholarships to exchange students. Please know that international students are not eligible for need-based scholarships as finances for need-based aid are dispersed by the United States Department of Education, limiting funds to only US Citizens

How do I settle my bill from The University of Scranton?

International students can contact the Office of the Bursar through email at Please be sure to include your Royal ID when emailing the Bursar. Acceptable methods of payment include cash (US currency only), a personal check, cashier's check, money order, traveler's check, or wire transfer.

What dining arrangements are available for international students?

International students are encouraged to purchase a meal plan from the University. Kitchens are available in some residence halls; however, some students find that cooking becomes an additional burden to add during a busy semester. There are a wide variety of options to choose from on campus, from all-you-care-to-eat settings, to sandwich and coffee shops. The University of Scranton was recently ranked as the 11th best college for on-campus dining.

What health requirements must be met prior to arrival in Scranton?

Pennsylvania State Law requires all students living in a residence hall or dormitory to be vaccinated for meningitis. Proof of vaccination must be submitted to Student Health Services prior to the start of the term. A general physical must also be submitted. No other vaccines are required; however, most American students are also vaccinated for chicken pox, mumps/measles/rubella, whooping cough, HPV, tetanus, and influenza. 

How do I get to Scranton if my flight arrives at John F. Kennedy Int'l Airport in New York?

While we encourage students to arrive the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton International Airport, we understand that cost and flight schedule might prohibit this possibility. Students who arrive at JFK airport can take a bus from the Port Authority Bus Terminal (PABT) in Midtown Manhattan to Scranton. Cabs or Uber are also available at JFK. For the trip from PABT to Scranton, we recommend Martz Trailways, which offers a convenient bus schedule, running almost hourly. During orientation week, our student staff will be on hand to greet you at the Scranton Bus Terminal. 

Scroll to Top