Zoomed in view of the seals sign on the floor of Brennan Hall

Staying Legal in the U.S.

In order to maintain legal status in the United State as a F-1 or J-1 student, an international student should consider the following:

  • Keep passport valid ( 6 months minimum )
  • Always carry I-94
  • Complete 12 credits each semester if undergraduate; 6 credits if graduate, unless you have prior approval from the Office of International Student and Scholar Services ( OISSS ) staff for fewer
  • ALWAYS visit with the OISSS staff BEFORE dropping any classes
  • Request an extension PRIOR to current I-20 /DS2019 expiration
  • Tell your OISSS staff if you plan to transfer to another college or university
  • Get a new I-20/DS2019 for any change in major or degree level
  • After you finish your degree, leave the U.S. within 60 days (F-1) or 30 days (J-1)
  • Do NOT work off campus  or participate in internship (CPT)  without prior authorization
  • Do NOT work on campus more than 20 hours per week while school is in session
  • Report any change in local address to the OISSS staff by sending an e-mail to international@scranton.edu
  • Have the OISSS staff sign your I-20/DS2019 if traveling outside the U.S.
Scroll to Top