2018-2019 Resident Assistant Application Information
Consider becoming part of our student staff!
Thank you for your interest in applying to become a Resident Assistant, one of the premier student leadership opportunities on campus!
Please check out all the resources on this page for application requirements and information about the position. The tabs at the bottom can be particularly useful.
This page will be fully updated by Monday, November 6, 2017, when the application will go live on Royal Sync.
Get more information from a current RA
To be submitted by Friday, December 1st*:
1. Completed application form (LINK WILL BE POSTED HERE NOVEMBER 6, 2017)
2. Resume (will be uploaded in RoyalSync application)
To be submitted by Monday, December 11th:
3. Faculty/Staff Reference
4. Resident Assistant Reference
*Spring '18 study abroad students should complete their portions of the application by Tuesday, November 21, 2017 so that we can schedule an earlier interview to accommodate your schedule if need be. References would still be due 12/11.
Please direct your references to this page, where they can find their forms below.
Basic Position Qualificationsplus or minus
- Must be a full-time student of sophomore social standing or higher by August 2018.
- Must possess a minimum 2.75 cumulative GPA.
- Must be available to serve on the staff for one full academic year.
- Must be a positive role model who understands and supports the mission and values of The University of Scranton, the Division of Student Formation & Campus Life, and The Office of Residence Life.
- Must be in good standing with the Office of Student Conduct.
- This position is designed for undergraduate students as a peer leadership opportunity. Graduate students are not able to serve in this role.
Compensationplus or minus
Compensation for the RA position covers the cost of a designated RA room and a 10-meal plan.
How To Applyplus or minus
Each candidate is required to submit the items listed in the requirements section above. The application is through RoyalSync (link on page above).
Most candidates will be contacted to schedule an interview over Intersession or during the first week of the semester. Many will also be asked to participate in a "group processing" session during one of 3 slots the weekend of February 10-11, 2018 (please hold that weekend for the time being).
Spring '18 study abroad applicants will be scheduled for an interview before departing and will not participate in the group processing session.
Further instructions for the RA Selection process including interview and group processing scheduling will be emailed to your University email account.
Two references are required: one current faculty or staff member and one current Resident Assistant. You may ask any RA who you think knows you the best. These forms can be found above and must be emailed to RASelection@scranton.edu or delivered to the Office of Residence Life (100 Condron Hall).
RA Selection Timelineplus or minus
- Applications available - week of November 6, 2017
- Applications due (Spring '18 study abroad students only) - November 21, 2017
- Interviews (Spring '18 study abroad students only) - November 27 to December 1, 2017 or Intersession
- Applications due - December 1, 2017
- References due - December 11, 2017
- Interviews - Intersession and 1st week of Spring semester
- Group processing weekend - February 10-11, 2018
- Notification of selection and placement - March 2, 2018
Housing Lotteryplus or minusCandidates will receive information on the status of their application prior to the Housing Lottery. Candidates should still plan to participate in the housing lottery process until the point of hire (we suggest having a "plan A" in case you don't get the position and a "plan B" if you do, for the sake of coordinating with your friends). All rising junior and senior candidates are encouraged to pay their $250 housing deposits to the Bursar’s Office in St. Thomas Hall when that is requested.
Study Abroadplus or minus
Students studying abroad in the Spring 2018 semester must submit their applications by Tuesday, November 21, 2017. Individual interviews will take place during the week of November 27 – December 1, 2017 if need be.
Notificationsplus or minus
Notification of your status will be through your University of Scranton email account. Contact may be made for notification of eligibility, additional items or clarifications needed, and possible interview or group processing sign ups.
All applicants will receive notification of their hire status by Friday, March 2, 2018.
Current First Year Applicantsplus or minus
The RoyalSync application will request a Cumulative GPA. First year students will not have this yet. Formal grades will be given to Residence Life at the end of the semester. For now, you may enter your mid term grades into this calulator to try and best calculate your estimated GPA: