Housing Accommodations


In accordance with the Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act, the University will provide residential accommodations for a student residing in University housing who has a qualifying physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities and has a record of such an impairment or is regarded as having such an impairment.

The University does not discriminate in the provision of housing to qualified students with disabilities, consistent with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act. It is the policy of the University to provide comparable, convenient, and accessible housing to students with disabilities at the same cost as to others. The University makes reasonable modifications to its housing policies, procedures, and practices unless doing so would result in a fundamental alteration of the University’s housing program.

Students with disabilities who wish to request a reasonable modification to the University’s housing policies, procedures, or practices should submit a written request to the Center for Teaching and Learning Excellence (CTLE), as set forth in the University’s Equal Opportunity and Diversity Policy. The University will engage in an individualized, interactive process with the student, prior to making a determination on the request. Students may be required to submit relevant medical and related documentation, depending on the nature of the request. Additional information is provided below.

How To Proceed

Students requesting a residential accommodation due to any physical, psychological, or health disability/impairment may make their requests for a change to the housing environment through the Center for Teaching & Learning Excellence (CTLE).  A residential accommodation may include a single residence hall room, wheelchair accessible facilities, devices or alarms for hearing impairments, special dietary needs, or use of an air conditioning unit.

In order to be considered for a residential accommodation, the student and appropriate physician or mental health care provider must complete the Verification Form for Students Requesting Changes to the Housing Environment and return it by June 1st.

Documentation should be current and consist of an evaluation by an appropriate physician or mental health care provider that describes the current functional impact of the condition or disability as it relates to the residential accommodation requested.  The physician/mental health care provider cannot be a family member.  The ADA Committee, consisting of a medical physician, psychologist, & professionals from the CTLE, the Counseling Center, & Residence Life, will evaluate the request.

The University of Scranton reserves the right to request additional documentation if the information does not address the student's current level of functioning or substantiate the need for modifications or accommodations.

For more details, contact information, and forms, please visit the CTLE website.

Room Selection for 2017-2018

Current students that require a housing accommodation for 2017-2018 should notifiy the Office of Residence Life of this need prior to their respective housing selection process. This applies both to students that have previous accommodations and students that have new or additional requests. Housing selection information can be found here. Information about the documentation process is available on the CTLE website.

Air Conditioning Accomodation

If a student living in first-year housing has an approved residential accommodation, he or she will be assigned to a room with a University-owned window unit.  First-year students must submit completed paperwork by the "Forms, Forms, Forms" deadline in June. 

Upperclass students seeking a residential accommodation must submit the completed paperwork two weeks prior to their on-campus housing selection process. If approved, the student will be placed into a housing facilitiy that provides air conditioining.  

Approved residential accommodations apply to the individual resident and not his or her roommate(s).