Join our 4-Week Scranton Steps Walking Program
This program is designed to motivate, reward and build a walking community among Students, Staff & Faculty at the University of Scranton. Walking is easy, cost effective and has many powerful physical and mental health benefits. Scranton Steps participants will be challenged to walk 30 minutes 5 times a week or 150 minutes per week with a chance to earn a long sleeve t-shirt.
Program Detailsplus or minus
Step 1: Register : Sign-up by September 24th. Registration will be closed on September 27th
- 4-Week Walking Program with weekly motivational emails, walking routes on campus and chances to earn rewards
- Walking program participants are challenged to walk 30 minutes a day/5 days per week or 150 minutes per week.
- Walk on your own, with co-workers, family or friends!
- Complete 30 minutes 5 days or 150 minutes of walking each week. This is the minimum amount of aerobic exercise recommended by the CDC for healthy adults 18-64 years old. (Click here for additional CDC physical activity guidelines).
Step 3: Submit your Online Walking Tracker each week by the deadline. Each Friday you will receive an e-mail with information, motivation, and tips. You will also receive your Online Walking Tracker to submit for the next week.
- Raffles will be drawn at the end of the program. Prize examples: Custom sneaker fitting, Fitbit.
- Online Walking Tracker Due Dates:
Week 1 - due 10/4 by 2:00 p.m.Week 2 - due 10/12 by 2:00 p.m.Week 3 - due 10/18 by 2:00 p.m.Week 4- due 10/25 by 2:00 p.m.
3. Submit your Online Walking Tracker each week to certify that you walked 150 minutes per week to earn a raffle ticket by the date/times listed above.4. If you submit your Online Walking Tracker three out of the four weeks you will be eligible for a long sleeve T-shirt and a grand prize raffle at the end of the program!
FAQplus or minus
WHY 4 WEEKS? The program will take you until the throughout the beautiful fall weather (hopefully). Research shows that it takes at least 21 days to form a habit. We hope this program helps you continue walking even after the rewards program ends.
WHEN IS THE REGISTRATION DEADLINE? Registration closes on 9/27
WHAT DO I NEED ON MY ONLINE WALKING TRACKER TO BE ENTERED INTO THE RAFFLE? Your name and you have to certify that you walked at least 30 mins a day for 5 days or 150 minutes a week. Link will be in the email.
DOES IT HAVE TO BE 30 MINUTES CONTINUOUS? No, studies have shown that you can split your time up (example: 10 minutes each morning, noon, and night) to total 30 minutes, with the same benefit.
WHERE SHOULD I WALK? Anywhere you feel comfortable. There will be campus maps available with suggested loops and routes to try. But, whatever fits your needs.
WHEN SHOULD I WALK? It’s up to you! On break? At lunch? In between classes? Before or after dinner? You decide! You can split up your times throughout the day as long as it adds up to 30 minutes. Any time that fits your schedule.
WHAT HAPPENS IF THERE IS BAD WEATHER? There are other options around campus. The Byron Center track will be open for your convenience between 12:00-1:30 every day as well as the treadmills at the Fitness Center.
WHAT HAPPENS IF YOU MISS A WEEK? No problem! This program is on your own time and for YOU! The only difference is the more weeks you complete you earn more chances to win prizes. Submit your Online Walker Tracker by date and time posted.
WHAT ARE SOME OF THE PRIZES I CAN WIN? We are going to raffle off:
- Custom fitting at the National running center with $100 GIFT CARD toward a pair of sneakers
- Long sleeve T-shirt
WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE ONLINE WALKER TRACKER AND THE PERSONAL WALKING LOG Calendar? The Online WalkingTracker is what you will submit on the specific dates (10/4, 10/12, 10/18, 10/25) by 2:00 p.m. to be entered for a prize. The Personal Walking Log Calendar can be printed out and used for your own personal use.
WHEN WILL I BE GETTING THE MOTIVATIONAL/INFORMATIONAL EMAILS? On Fridays you will receive an email with motivation, information, tips and a reminder to submit your Online Walking Tracker. Also, you will receive your new weekly Online Walking Tracker to complete for that week.
WHAT ARE THE WAYS I CAN EARN MORE PRIZES?
- Register by 9/24.
- Submit your Online Walking Tracker by the dates given.
- Snap a picture of you walking and send it to us! Some participants may prefer to walk as a group and check in for encouragement and motivation while others would rather prefer to walk on their own. If you are out walking with a co-worker or on your own, snap a picture and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org and you will receive another chance to win.
IS THIS A COMPETITION or A CHALLENGE? It is a challenge because we want you to challenge yourself. Also, when you submit your Online Walking Tracker you will be entered to win great prizes. There are some great benefits as well. There are many reasons that can motivate you to walk.
- Lose or maintain weight
- Gain energy
Benefits of Walkingplus or minus
According the American Heart Associations, CDC, Mayo Clinic, and Harvard the Benefits of walking are:
According to Harvard University
- Reduce risk of heart disease and stroke
- Reduce stress and enhances your mental well-being
- Improve Blood Pressure, Blood Sugar , and Cholesterol
- Help maintain or lose weight
- Improve productivity and energy level
- Reduce risk of breast and colon cancer
- Help maintain bone density
- Improve sleep
- Easy on the joints
Online Walking Trackerplus or minus
Additional Walking Tips and Resourcesplus or minusThis Log is for your own personal use. You can track your steps, minutes, miles and goals. You do NOT have to submit this log.Take a Lap! Red Lap .25 milesYellow Lap .5 milesBefore you start an exercise program.Tips for long term exercise successHow to measure your Exercise IntensityTarget Heart Rate Tips