Advising FAQ's

How do I know what courses to take?

Both the undergraduate and graduate catalogs can be found online. Choose the catalog based upon the year you entered the University. Both the undergraduate and graduate catalogs provide you with the curriculum needed to fulfill your degree requirements. The course schedule for upcoming terms can be located through a Course Search.

What if I can't get the class I wanted?

Undergraduate students should stop into Academic Services (in McGurrin Hall 111) to fill out a Problem Registration form, or you can monitor the course to see if seats become available.

Graduate students should contact their Graduate Program Advisor/Mentor if problems arise with courses registration.

Can I take a course at another college?

There are a number of limitations to taking a course at another college or university. Therefore, permission in advance is needed to determine if the course will transfer back to The University of Scranton.

Undergraduate students who have completed 60 credits or more need to take the course at a four year college or university. Students who have completed less than 60 credits may be approved to take a course at a two-year or four-year school.

As a general rule, graduate students will not be approved to take courses at another college or university. However a course may be approved in advance, given certain circumstances.

How do I add or drop a class?

Students may add courses anytime from the initial registration period and the fifth class day from the start of the fall or spring semester, or the second class day of intersession and summer sessions. After this period passes, a Student Schedule Change form will need to be completed by you, and signed by the instructor and the Academic Dean. View the entire policy and Student Schedule Change form here.

Online graduate students should contact either their Graduate Program Advisor/Mentor or the Coordinator of PCPS Graduate Academic Services in order to add or drop a course.

How do I change my major or add a minor?

  • Speak first to your academic advisor if you are considering a change of major or minor.
  • Speak to faculty members in other areas of interest to collect more information about another Major or Minor. Sometimes due to the demands of a Major, it is not advisable to add a minor.
  • Visit Career Services and make an appointment to speak with a counselor. This office can assist with career options through individual counseling and workshops.
  • Once a final decision has been made, make an appointment with your Academic Advisor and work with him/her to complete a Change of Curriculum form. Be sure to sign the form and get any additional signatures from Chairpersons and the Dean that houses the new major.

Community Based Learning Hours

What if I want to study abroad?

Students interested in studying abroad should meet with Kevin Curry, Assistant Dean for Academic Services to discuss a plan and obtain course approval. PCPS students must have a cumulative GPA of 3.00 or better in order to study abroad.

Scroll to Top