Students are required to take 24 credits of courses.
- 9 credits in the area of Core Emphasis which includes language study and a foundation course, and
- another 9 credits in Area Studies from two disciplines, and
- 6 credits in Infused Courses. Students who take more than 9 credits in the area studies may reduce their 6 credits of infused courses as long as they meet other program requirements.
- One-year (2 courses, 6 credits) language study at appropriate level in one Asian language is required. Placement in a previously studied language will be determined by placement testing in the University’s Language Learning Center. To maintain a balance of subjects studied and to facilitate a broader understanding of the region, ordinarily no more than 12 credits from Asian language studies can count toward the 24-credit program requirement unless special circumstance occurs. When this happens, the students must consult with the program director for approval.
- Students who study abroad or take courses at another higher education institute with an emphasis on Asian Studies may petition to substitute courses and are required to speak to the director of the program prior to completing the credits they wish to substitute.
- Ordinarily at least 12 of the 24 credits must be taken at the University of Scranton.
- Some courses may have prerequisite requirements. Students should consult the University catalogue for these requirements if applicable.
- About the Program
- Program Requirements
- Course Descriptions
- Exchange Programs and Study-Abroad
- Faculty and Staff
- Resources and Useful Links
- Spring Events 2021
- Asian Studies Alumni News
- Dr. Ann Pang-White, Program Director, Asian Studies
- Philosophy Department
- Scranton, PA 18510
- The University of Scranton
- Phone: 570-941-6312