The University of Scranton Mulberry Street wall Hill Section entrance.

Visa Types for International Students


The F-1 visa is the most common visa used by students in the U.S. and is issued to full-time students enrolled in an academic or language program in the country. Most international students at The University of Scranton are on an F-1 visa. In order to apply for the F-1 visa, students must first receive the I-20 form from The University.


The J-1 visa is generally used for students in specific educational exchange programs at all academic levels. Most J-1 students at The University of Scranton are part of an exchange program where they are studying abroad in the United States.  The Office of International Student and Scholar (OISSS) will issue the DS2019 form to students who have been accepted into one of the exchange programs at The University for the purposes of J-1 visa application.

F-2 and J-2

Students who plan to have dependents (spouse and children) accompany them during their studies must inform the Office of Admission/International Student and Scholar for additional I-20/DS-2019 forms. 

Scroll to Top