Student Veterans Organization
Our mission is to provide a welcoming atmosphere to all military veterans through peer support, advocacy, and community involvement while upholding the Jesuit philosophy of being “men and women for others” enabling every member to succeed in higher education and beyond. Membership is open to all student veterans and interested members of the University Community.
Five strengths that we, as military-connected students, bring to campus:
- We are already the product of an intense educational experience.
- We bring experience with diverse perspectives.
- We have mental nimbleness and resilience, and are trained problem-solvers.
- We are working toward a mission; we are focused and driven.
- We are service-oriented.
Please stop by our Veterans & ROTC Resource Lounge on the first floor of Hyland Hall.
2022-23 School Year
Shannon Stoddard -- President
Barbara King - Advisor
The Veteran’s Advocacy Committee is an advisory group comprised of faculty and staff who identify as veterans and/or who are deeply committed to fostering an inclusive and supportive environment for veterans at the University.
The group convenes as needed to share suggestions, ideas, and insight with the Advisor of the Student Veteran’s Organization.
- Maryellen Burns, Associate Director of Financial Aid
- Barbara King, Student Life Coordinator and Student Veterans Organization Advisor
- Bridget Chomko, Director of Annual Giving
- Michael Costello, JD, Faculty Health Administration
- Susan Elczyna, CRNA, PhD, Faculty Nurse Anesthesia
Teresa Grettano PhD., Faculty English
- Bob Liskowicz, PsyD., Clinical Manager, Counseling Center
- Paul Pearson, Faculty Specialist, Physics and Engineering Department
- Jason Schwass, Senior Director of Student Success, Kania School of Management
- Daniel R. Sweeney, S.J., Faculty Political Science
- Major Jason Wenger, Professor of Military Science
Student Veterans of America
Department of Veteran Affairs
St. Francis Commons
Lackawanna County Veteran’s Affairs
Pennsylvania Department of Military and Veteran Affairs
Anne M. Bednar Scholarship
Disabled American Veterans
Veterans Crisis Line - 1-800-273-8255 - PRESS 1
National Resource Directory