Student Veterans Organization
Our mission is to provide a welcoming atmosphere to all military veterans through peer support, advocacy, and community involvement while upholding the Jesuit philosophy of being “men and women for others” enabling every member to succeed in higher education and beyond. Membership is open to all student veterans and interested members of the University Community.
Five strengths that we, as military-connected students, bring to campus:
- We are already the product of an intense educational experience.
- We bring experience with diverse perspectives.
- We have mental nimbleness and resilience, and are trained problem-solvers.
- We are working toward a mission; we are focused and driven.
- We are service-oriented.
Please stop by our Veterans & ROTC Resource Lounge on the first floor of Hyland Hall.
- Amy Atkinson -- President
- Barbara King - Advisor
The Student Veteran's Organization Advocacy Committee is an advisory group for the moderator of the Organization, in serving as an advocate for our student vets.
- Michael Costello, JD, Faculty Health Administration
Elczyna, CRNA, PhD, Clinical Faculty Nurse Specialist
- Teresa Grettano Ph.D., Faculty English
- Bob Liskowicz, Psy.D., Staff Psychologist, Counseling Center
- Maryellen Burns, Assistant Director of Financial Aid
- Jason Schwass, Assistant Director for Student Internships, Kania School of Management
- Daniel R. Sweeney, S.J., Faculty Political Science
- Maj. Jason Wenger, Prof. of Military Science
- Christine M. Black, Assistant Director, Office of Equity and Diversity/Deputy Title IX Coordinator
- Robert P. Zelno, Committee Co-Chair
- Christina Whitney, Director, The Gerald R. Roche Center for Career Development and Committee Co-Chair
- Student Veterans of America (https://studentveterans.org/)
- LinkedIn (https://socialimpact.linkedin.com/programs/veterans/premiumform)
- Department of Veteran Affairs (https://www.va.gov/)
- LGBT+ Veterans (https://www.patientcare.va.gov/LGBT/index.asp)
- Francis Commons (https://www.dioceseofscranton.org/css/directory/scranton-penn-avenue-office-st-francis-commons/)
- Cross Cultural Center (https://www.scranton.edu/studentlife/studentaffairs/multicultural-affairs/index.shtml)
- Counseling Center (https://www.scranton.edu/studentlife/studentaffairs/counseling-center/Services.shtml)
- Center for Teaching and Learning Excellence (CTLE) (https://www.scranton.edu/academics/ctle/index.shtml)
- The Gerard R. Roche Center for Career Development (https://www.scranton.edu/studentlife/studentaffairs/careers/index.shtml)
- Office of Equity and Diversity (https://www.scranton.edu/equity-diversity/)
- FAFSA (https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/fafsa?utm_source=dct&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=renewal_applicant_indep_pell_english_l1)
- PHEAA (https://www.pheaa.org/)
- Lackawanna County Veteran’s Affairs (https://www.lackawannacounty.org/index.php/departmentsagencies/human-services/veterans-affairs)
- Pennsylvania Department of Military and Veteran Affairs (https://www.dmva.pa.gov/Pages/default.aspx)
- Anne M. Bednar Scholarship (http://catalog.scranton.edu/content.php?catoid=40&navoid=4820#scholarships)
- Disabled American Veterans (https://www.dav.org)
- My healthevet (https://www.myhealth.va.gov/mhv-portal-web/home)
- Veterans Crisis Line - 1-800-273-8255 - PRESS 1 (https://www.mentalhealth.va.gov/suicide_prevention/veterans-crisis-line.asp)
- National Resource Directory (https://nrd.gov/)
- Vet Tix (https://www.vettix.org/)