- Catherine H. Middlecamp, Michael Mury, Karen L. Anderson, Anne K. Bentley, Michael C. Cann, Jamie P. Ellis, Kathleen L. Purvis-Roberts, Chemistry in Context, 7th edition, McGraw–Hill, Dubuque, IA, 2015.
- Baird, C. and Cann, M., Environmental Chemistry, 5th Edition, W.H. Freeman and Company, New York, 2012.
- Catherine Middlecamp, Steve Keller, Karen Anderson, Anne Bentley, Michael Cann, Chemistry in Context, 7th edition, McGraw–Hill, Dubuque, IA, 2012.
- Cann, M. C. and Umile, T. P.,* Real-World Cases in Green Chemistry, Volume 2, American Chemical Society, Washington, D.C., 2008.
- Baird, C. and Cann, M., Environmental Chemistry, 4th Edition, W.H. Freeman and Company, New York, 2008.
- Baird, C. and Cann, M., Environmental Chemistry, 3rd Edition, W.H. Freeman and Company, New York, 2005.
- Cann, M. C. and Connelly, M. E.,* Real-World Cases in Green Chemistry, American Chemical Society, Washington, D.C., 2000.
- Cann, M. C., “The Imperative for Infusing Sustainability into the Chemistry Curriculum,” in Sustainability in the Chemistry Curriculum, Middlecamp, C. H., Jorgensen, A. D., Editors, (ACS Symposium Series 1087), American Chemical Society, Washington, DC, 2011.
- Cann, M. C., "Greening the Chemistry Lecture Curriculum: Now is the Time to Infuse Existing Mainstream Textbooks with Green Chemistry," in Green Chemistry Education, Changing the Course of Chemistry, Paul Anastas, Irvin J. Levy and Kathryn E. Parent Editors, American Chemical Society (ACS Symposium Series 1011), Oxford University Press, 2008.
- Cann, C. W., Cann, M. C., and Shangquan, G., "China's Road to Sustainable Development," in China's Environment and the Challenge of Sustainable Development, Day, K., Editor, M. E. Sharpe, Armonk, New York, 2005.
Book Series Editor
- Cann, Michael C., "Sustainability: Contributions through Science and Technology," CRC Press.
- Microwave Heating as a Tool for Sustainable Chemistry , Edited by Nicholas E. Leadbeater, CRC Press, 2010.
- Green Chemistry for Environmental Sustainability, Edited by Sanjay K. Sharma and Ackmez Mudhoo, CRC Press, 2010.
- Green Organic Chemistry in Lecture and Laboratory, Edited by Andrew Dicks, CRC Press, 2011.
- A Novel Green Treatment for Textiles, Plasma Treatment as a Sustainable Technology, Edited by Chi-wai Kan, CRC Press, 2014.
- Environmentally Friendly Syntheses Using Ionic Liquids, Edited by Jairton Dupont, Toshiyuki Itoh, Pedro Lozano and Sanjay V. Malhotra, CRC Press, 2015.
- Catalysts for Sustainability, Goals Challenges and Impacts, Edited by Thomas P, Umile, CRC Press, 2015.
- Cann, M.C., Dickneider, T. A., "Infusing the Chemistry Curriculum with Green Chemistry Using Real-World Examples, Web Modules, and Atom Economy in Organic Chemistry," J. Chem. Ed., 2004, 81, 977.
- Cann, M. C., "The Importance of Greening the Chemistry that We Practice and We Preach," All India Seminar on Green Chemistry: Cleaner Technologies & Safer Chemicals, p21-22, Guwahati, India, March 15, 2003.
- Proceedings: Cann, C. W. and Cann, M. C., "A Plan for Corporate Sustainable Development: Creating a Corporate Competitive Advantage Through the Combination of Green Chemistry and Strategic Marketing Management," Professional Organization: International Conference Towards Sustainable Product Design Proceedings Managing Sustainable Product: Organizational Aspects of Product and Service Development, London, England, October 28 –29, 2002.
- Cann, M. C. "Greening the Chemistry Curriculum at the University of Scranton," Green Chemistry, 2001, 3, G23.
- Cann, M. C. “Bringing State of the Art, Applied, Novel, Green Chemistry to the Classroom, by Employing the Presidential Green Chemistry Challenge Awards,” J. Chem. Ed., 1999, 76, 1639.
- Axtell, H. C.,* McHugh, K. B.,* and Cann, M. C., “Reactions of 8H-Furo[3,4-d]dibenz [b,f]azepine and 9H-Tribenz[b,d,f]azepine with t-Butyl Hypochlorite and Silver Trifluoroacetate,” Heterocycles, 1995, 41, 431.
- Bennett, R. A.,* and Cann, M. C., “Reaction of 5-Acetyl-10,11-didehydro-5H-dibenz[b,f]azepine with Pyrrole, N-Methylpyrrole, Imidazole and N-Methylimidazole: Cycloaddition Versus Michael Addition,” Journal of Heterocyclic Chemistry 1994, 31, 293.
- Cann, M. C. “The Synthesis of [b,f,d]Tetracyclicazepins; Attempts to Prepare an Aromatic Nitrenium Ion” (an invited review) in Trends in Heterocyclic Chemistry, 1993, 3, 439.
- Axtell, H. C.,* Howell,* W. M. Schmid, L. G.,* and Cann, M. C., “Preparation of 9H-Tribenz[b,d,f]azepine and its 1-Methoxy Derivative,” Journal of Organic Chemistry, 1991, 56, 3906.
- McHugh, K. B.,* Howell, W. A., Doran, J. J.* and Cann, M. C., “Preparation of 8H-Furo[3,4-d]dibenz[b,f]azepine. A Novel heterocyclic Ring System, Journal of Heterocyclic Chemistry, 1990, 27, 1839.
- Cann, M. C. and Lezinsky, D.* “Reactions of 5H-Dibenz[b,f]azepine with t-Butyl Hypochlorite: An Aromatic Nitrenium Ion Intermediate?” Journal of Heterocyclic Chemistry, 1988, 25, 863.
- Cann, M. C. “Formation of Acridine from the Reaction of Dibenz[b,f]azepine With Silver(I): Formation of an Aromatic Nitrenium Ion?” Journal of Organic Chemistry, 1988, 53, 1112.
- Cann, C.W., Sebastianelli, R. and Cann, M.C., "Examining Environmental Sustainability Efforts: A Preliminary Survey." Proceedings of the 34th Annual Meeting of the Northeast Decision Sciences Institute. Philadelphia, PA, March 2005
Reference Book Entry
- Cann, M. C. “Green Chemistry” segment for the reference work Lagowski, J. J., ed. Chemistry Foundations and Applications, 4 vols. New York: Macmillan Reference USA, 2004.
* Indicates student co-author.