Housing Accommodations

The University of Scranton and the Office of Equity and Diversity (OED) are committed to the full participation of students with disabilities in all aspects of college life, including Residential Life.

In accordance with the Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act, the University will provide housing accommodations for a student residing in University housing who has a qualifying physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities and has a record of such an impairment or is regarded as having such an impairment.

The University does not discriminate in the provision of housing to qualified students with disabilities, consistent with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act. It is the policy of the University to provide comparable, convenient, and accessible housing to students with disabilities at the same cost as to others. The University makes reasonable modifications to its housing policies, procedures, and practices unless doing so would result in a fundamental alteration of the University’s housing program.

To Be Considered for Housing Accommodation

  1. Students with disabilities who wish to request a reasonable modification to the University’s housing policies, procedures, or practices should complete the Request for Housing Accommodation form. Download the form, fill out the student section, save the form and forward it to your medical provider. The medical provider can email the completed form to non-academic-accom@scranton.edu or return the form to you so you can upload it to the Accommodate system. If the medical provider submits the form via email, the form will be uploaded to your account in Accommodate by an OED staff member.  If you receive the form from your medical professional, you must access Accommodate and upload the form yourself.
    • Documentation should be current and consist of an evaluation by an appropriate physician or health care provider that describes the current functional impact of the condition or disability as it relates to the housing accommodation requested.
    • The physician/health care provider cannot be a family member.
    • The University of Scranton reserves the right to request additional documentation if the information does not address the student’s current level of functioning, or substantiate the need for modifications or accommodations.
    • Documentation should be focused on limitations and accommodations, and not specific housing requests. See the Required Documentation page for more details.
  2. The ADA Committee will review the information received from your health care provider and decide to grant or deny the accommodation. If your housing accommodation request is approved by the ADA Committee, you will be notified by email of their decision.

  3. Upon receipt of this information, the OED and Residential Life will collaborate to determine what arrangements would be appropriate to meet the student’s needs based on availability, and if necessary, will work to provide reasonable alternatives if the student’s specific request cannot be met. The University will engage in an individualized, interactive process with a student, prior to making a determination on the request.

Please submit requests as soon as possible in order to avoid a delay in providing accommodations:

Scroll to Top