Special Interest Events
There are special events throughout Commencement weekend that you are welcome to attend. Some of these events include:
Friday, May 25, 2018:
- PCPS Graduate Awards Ceremony
- 4:00pm in the Kane Forum of Leahy Hall
- Honor Outstanding Graduate Student award recipients
- PCPS Human Resources and Scranton Education Online Graduate Student Reception
- 4:30pm in the Kane Forum of Leahy Hall
- KSOM Graduate Student Reception
- 5:00pm-7:30pm in Brennan Hall Room 509
- Class Night
- 7:00pm: Graduates arrive for photographs in the Moskovitz Theater;
- 8:00pm in DeNaples Center McIllhenny Ballroom;
- Honor the undergraduate academic award recipients as they are presented this designation by the Dean of their college;
- Honorees and their families are notified of their receipt of the awards in early May;
- A reception is hosted immediately following the the event;
- Contact person for this event is Mary Ann Maslar, CAS Dean's Office, 570-941-7560.
Saturday, May 26, 2018:
- Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT) Graduation Awards Ceremony
- 8:00am in DeNaples Center McIllhenny Ballroom
- Nurses' Pinning Ceremony
- 9:30am in the Long Center
- ROTC Commissioning
- 1:30pm in Houlihan McLean
- President's Reception
- 8:00pm-11:00pm in the Byron Center;
- Invitations are sent to families in early May and each family is given 3 complimentary tickets to attend. Additional tickets can also be purchased when replying to the invitation;
- Drinks and desserts will be served;
- For additional information on this event, please contact the Office of Student Formation & Campus Life at 570-941-7680 or visit their website.
Sunday, May 27, 2018:
- Occupational Therapy Breakfast (for 4th year undergraduate students)
- 8:00am in DeNaples Center McIllhenny Ballroom
*Schedule and timing is subject to change.*
Graduate Commencement (Tickets not required.)
Graduate Commencement is on Saturday, May 26, 2018. Procession of the graduates will begin at 10:45am. Graduates line up using northeast Commons entrance to Loyola Science Center (by the ornamental clock) beginning at 8:00am. Doors will open to the Byron Center at 9:00am. Once the graduates begin processing, no additional families will enter the Byron Center until the graduates, faculty, deans and stage party have been seated.
At the conclusion of the ceremony, graduates will recess out of the Byron Center and proceed down the Commons to Alumni Green for a casual reception. All Master's and Doctoral graduates and their guests are welcome to attend this reception. No RSVP is requried. Please join us!
For a map of Graduate Commencement activities, please click here.
Baccalaureate Mass (Tickets not required.)
Baccalaureate Mass is on Saturday, May 26, 2018 and doors will open for the event no later than 3:00pm. Graduates line up under the Communications Wing on Catlin Court no later than 3:30pm. Procession will begin promptly at 4:00pm in the Byron Center at which point the doors to the Byron Center will be closed. If space allows, the doors will re-open once the graduates are in their seats.
This event can become very crowded and we encourage you to arrive early. In order to facilitate quick and efficient seating, we ask that guests refrain from saving seats for later arriving guests. There is additional seating available in the Long Center and Mass will be projected on a large screen with Communion also served in this location.
At the conclusion of Mass, the graduates will recess out of the Byron Center and down the Commons. We ask that guests remain in their seats until all graduates have exited the building. At that time, all doors will be opened and you will be able to meet your graduates on the Dionne Green.
Undergraduate Commencement (Tickets not required.)
Undergraduate Commencement is on Sunday, May 27, 2018 at the Mohegan Sun Arena at Casey Plaza in Wilkes-Barre, PA. The address for the Arena is 255 Highland Park Boulevard and is located off exit 168 of Interstate 81 (approximately 18 miles south of campus). Admission tickets are not required for family members and guests of the graduates. The doors will open at 10:45am and the procession of the graduates begins at 12:00pm. Guests may enter the Arena from either the East or West Gates. Graduates must enter at the East Gate.
The concession stands will be open for light refreshments and snacks for guests. Mohegan Sun Arena prohibits food, bottles, cans, coolers, alcoholic beverages and weapons of any kind being brought inside the Arena. All staff, guests and graduates will be screened upon entering the Arena. Smoking is prohibited in the Arena and the consumption of alcoholic beverages is prohibited in the parking lots as well. Police will be monitoring the parking lots and alcohol is not sold at the Arena.
For the best place to watch your graduate, please see this map of the Arena.
At the conclusion of the ceremony, graduates and guests will be able to meet outside the Arena. Students in the honors programs and the College of Arts & Sciences will exit through the East Gate while students in the Panuska College of Professional Studies and Kania School of Management will exit through the West Gate. It is recommended that you choose a spot to link up graduates and guests away from the Arena building. Please view the diagram for the Arena exiting procedures.
Future Commencement Dates
For your planning purposes, the following dates are projected for future Commencement Ceremonies:
May 26-27, 2018
May 25-26, 2019
Photographs and Flowers
- A photographer from GradImages™ will be at the Graduate and Undergraduate Commencement ceremonies to take a photograph of the graduate at their special moment of recognition.
- Prior to your Commencement ceremony, you can pre-register your permanent e-mail address by visiting the GradImages™ website and click on "Pre-Event Registration". You can add contact information for up to 6 additional relatives and/or friends.
- A free passport-sized digital proof of this photo on an order card will be sent within 5-7 days following the ceremony.
- After the ceremony, you may order photographs online or call 1-800-261-2576. Questions may be emailed to email@example.com.
- Since these professional photographs will be available, family members and guests are encouraged to remain in their seats, relax and enjoy the ceremony.
GradImages™ never has and never will sell or share the address/e-mail information provided to any other vendor.
Flowers & University of Scranton Gift Items:
- The University of Scranton bookstore will sell flower arrangements, diploma frames and University of Scranton gift items/apparel during the Commencement ceremonies. For Saturday events, the University bookstore (located in the DeNaples Center) will be open from 8:00am-5:00pm. For Undergraduate Commencement, the bookstore will also have a table in the concession area on the main concourse level of the Arena.
- You are welcome to pre-order flowers through their website.
- Upon ordering flowers, you will receive a payment confirmation. The flower concessions will be located at the main entrance to the Byron Center for Graduate Commencement and at the Information Tent near the main entrance to the Arena for Undergraduate Commencement. The flowers will be labeled for you to help ensure a quick pick up using your payment confirmation.