Summer Conference Assistants
Our department supports these endeavors throughout the year, supporting events from Alumni Board Meetings to Presidential Christmas Receptions to the annual Carlesimo Golf Tournament & Award Dinner. The summer is our real time to shine, however, when we have the opportunity to show off our beautiful campus and superior service to large outside groups.
Over the course of the summer, The University of Scranton will host roughly 5,000 guests through various
conferences and camps. Groups range from religious organizations that have been with us for over 30 years to camps who are joining us for the first time.
Our goal in Conference & Event Services is to make our guests feel at home while they are on campus and to offer superior customer service. At the same time, it is important that we uphold the University’s mission in everything we do:
The University of Scranton is a Catholic and Jesuit university animated by the spiritual vision and the tradition of excellence characteristic of the Society of Jesus and those who share its way of proceeding. The University is a community dedicated to the freedom of inquiry and personal development fundamental to the growth in wisdom and integrity of all who share its life.
In addition, this position provides an excellent learning opportunity for Conference Assistants to work on their customer service, management, leadership, teamwork, problem-solving, and interpersonal skills.
Please note that these positions are open only to University students who are currently in good academic standing, are enrolled in the Fall 2018 semester and are eligible for either Federal, State or University work-study. This position is open only to rising sophomores, juniors, seniors, and graduate students. Please contact us for opportunities for incoming first-year students.
Essential Duties and ResponsibilitiesAssist with day to day needs of summer programs which can include, but not limited to:
- Maintain detailed, accurate records of room and key assignments to ensure proper client billing.
- Prepare and maintain housing accommodations. This includes placing linen bags in rooms prior to arrival and retrieving upon departure, as well as checking for and reporting room damage.
- Conduct linen inventories, arrange for distribution and retrieval.
- Assist in
setup of conference functions. Monitor events to ensure prompt service.
- Interact with conference participants and respond to requests in an efficient and courteous manner.
- Maintain a high quality of customer service, which includes initiating
conversationto ensure that needs are met.
- Report and seek corrective measures to problems involving facilities and services such as media, catering, climate control, and custodial services.
- Perform additional job-related duties and responsibilities as requested.
- Ability to represent the University in an enthusiastic, courteous and professional manner.
- Knowledge of University mission and facilities.
- Commitment to customer service.
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced work environment and handling multiple tasks at once.
- Flexible schedule.
- Demonstrated organizational and communication skills.
- Ability to take initiative and to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Proven leadership roles, either on campus or off.
- Valid driver’s license (preferred).
Benefits and Other Items of Note
- Competitive hourly rate. (Note: MUST be eligible for work-study. Rates are based on work-study scale.)
- On-campus housing included (if needed).
- Meals included at peak times.
- Must be available for scheduled hours, including nights and weekends. Weekly hours will vary depending on current conferences.
- Occasional on-call shifts are required for those living on campus.
- This position runs from the end of May to mid-August. July will be our busiest month.
- Opportunity to work events during the 2018-2019 academic year.
- This position is open only to rising sophomores, juniors, seniors, and graduate students. Please contact us for opportunities for incoming first-year students.
Application DeadlinePlease apply by Friday, March 30, 2018.
Click Here to Apply
Want to learn more about the position before applying? Join us for an information session in DeNaples 214 during one of the following times:
Thursday, March 1 • 11:30 am - Noon
Wednesday, March 7 • 5:30 pm - 6:00 pm
Thursday, March 8 • 11:30 am - Noon
For more information, contact:
Elizabeth Geeza, Conference & Events Coordinator