The Office of Conference & Event Services is housed in the Division of University Advancement. Our division engages alumni, parents, students, and friends in a lifelong relationship with the University and generates private philanthropic support from these groups in support of the University mission. Through their generosity, alumni, parents, and friends support student scholarships, capital projects, academic initiatives,
Our department supports these endeavors throughout the year, supporting events from Alumni Board Meetings to Presidential Christmas Receptions to the annual Carlesimo Golf Tournament & Award Dinner. We also provide services to other University departments and off-campus groups for single or recurring events.
Conference groups range from religious organizations that have been with us for over 30 years to camps who are joining us for the first time. Our goal in Conference & Event Services is to make our guests feel at home while they are on campus and to offer superior customer service. At the same time, it is important that we uphold the University’s mission in everything we do:
The University of Scranton is a Catholic and Jesuit university animated by the spiritual vision and the tradition of excellence characteristic of the Society of Jesus and those who share its way of proceeding. The University is a community dedicated to the freedom of inquiry and personal development fundamental to the growth in wisdom and integrity of all who share its life.
The University of Scranton Office of Conference & Event Services is looking for key individuals to fill the position of Event Assistants. Students in these positions are front-line ambassadors and are integral in creating a welcoming environment for our guests and to the overall success of our summer programs. Oftentimes, Event Assistants are the first point of contact when guests arrive on campus.
Over the course of a typical summer, we host roughly 5,000 guests through various conferences and camps. Groups range from religious organizations that have been with us for over 30 years to camps that are joining us for the first time. This summer will be a scaled-back version of a typical summer, as we will welcome a limited number of groups and guests while adhering to CDC and Pennsylvania COVID-19 guidelines.
This position provides an excellent learning opportunity for Event Assistants to work on their customer service, management, leadership, teamwork, problem-solving, and interpersonal skills.
Please note that these positions are open only to University students who are currently in good academic standing, are enrolled in the Fall 2021 semester, and are eligible for either Federal, State, or University work-study.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Assist with key & rooming assignments, possibly including sanitizing keys in between uses.
- Assist in setup of conference functions. Monitor events to ensure prompt service.
- Interact with conference participants and respond to requests in an efficient and courteous manner.
- Maintain a high quality of customer service, which includes initiating conversation to ensure that needs are met.
- Report and seek corrective measures to problems involving facilities and services such as media, catering, climate control, and custodial services.
- Occasionally stay on campus to assist with on-call duties.
- Assist in enforcing CDC and state COVID-19 safety guidelines.
- Perform additional job-related duties and responsibilities as requested.
- Ability to represent the University in an enthusiastic, courteous, and professional manner.
- Knowledge of University mission and facilities.
- Commitment to customer service.
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced work environment and handling multiple tasks at once.
- Flexible schedule.
- Demonstrated organizational and communication skills.
- Ability to take initiative and to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Proven leadership roles, either on campus or off.
- Commitment to COVID-19 safety protocols.
Benefits & Other Items of Note
- Competitive hourly rate. (Note: MUST be eligible for work-study. Rates are based on the work-study scale.)
- Meals included at peak times.
- Must be available for scheduled hours, including nights and weekends. Weekly hours will vary depending on current conferences.
- This position runs from the end of June through mid-August.
- Event shifts during the 2021-2022 academic year.
For more information, contact:
Elizabeth Geeza, Conference & Events Coordinator
(570) 941-6667 (office)