Leahy Community Health and Family Center
The Leahy Community Health and Family Center (LCHFC), located in McGurrin Hall, was completed in the spring of 2003 and was funded in part by a grant from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Health Resources and Services Administration. The spring 2003 dedication ceremony put forth the promise of innovative opportunities for faculty, students, and community to work together to fill gaps in health, wellness, and educational services to marginalized and underserved populations. Since this time, the LCHFC has actively sought to uncover gaps in services and work with community agencies and individuals to develop meaningful and sustainable responses to these needs.
Find out how you can volunteer at the LCHFC
The Leahy Community Health and Family Center will strive to fulfill its Mission and Vision Statements while using the following Value Statements as a guide:
- We value the Jesuit philosophy that understanding the importance of educating men and women for others within a context that addresses the whole person (cura personalis).
- We value the significance of striking a balance between theory and practice, knowledge and application, learning and service.
- We value the creation of sustainable service and learning experiences that are embedded in the curriculum and that meet the needs of the students and community.
- We value the cultivation of community partnerships that help identify health and wellness needs, develop bridges for collaboration and access, and provide reciprocal learning experiences.
The programs offered by the LCHFC are supported by State Grants, Private Foundations and Corporate Foundations, and individual donors, along with The University of Scranton.
Community Partners include, but are not limited to, the following organizations:
- CVS Health Foundation
- Lackawanna County Interagency Council
- Geisinger Viewmont Medical Labs
- Highmark Foundation
- Gertrude Hawk Family Foundation
For more information on how to be part of The University of Scranton's programs, please visit the Community Relations page.