Pregnant and Parenting Students
Pregnancy Accommodations for Students
The University of Scranton is committed to creating an accessible and inclusive environment for pregnant and parenting students.
Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 prohibits discrimination based on sex in education programs or activities including academic, educational, extracurricular, athletic, and other programs or activities of schools. This prohibition includes discrimination against pregnant and parenting students.
Students may request adjustments based on general pregnancy needs or accommodations based on a pregnancy-related complication. See below for more information on each process.
What types of adjustments may I request?
Possible Adjustments for Pregnancy
Students seeking a pregnancy adjustment are to complete a Pregnancy Adjustment Request Form noting the requested reasonable adjustment. Specific adjustments will be handled on a case by case basis and will depend on medical need and academic requirements. Accommodations may also be available for qualifying conditions that result from complications due to pregnancy. Some examples include:
- a larger desk
- breaks during class, as needed
- permitting temporary access to elevators
- rescheduling tests or exams
- excusing absences due to pregnancy or related conditions
- submitting work after a deadline missed due to pregnancy or childbirth
- providing alternatives to make up missed work
- allowing excused absences for parenting students (both mothers and fathers) who need to take their children to doctors’ appointments or to take care of their sick children
Contacts for Requests for Accommodations
Adjustment requests should be directed to one of the appropriate University staff members listed below. The University staff member will discuss the pregnant or parenting individual’s needs, and may ask for documentation that supports the requested adjustments.
Office of Equity and Diversity: (570) 941-6645
Center for Teaching and Learning Excellence: (570) 941-4038
- Student Services
- Faculty Services
- Faculty Development
- Technical services
- Library Links
- About CTLE