Monthly Alumni Brief
If you'd like to get involved as a class volunteer, email email@example.com.
3/11/16: Shamrockin’ Eve
The 8th Annual Shamrockin’ Eve will be on Friday, March 16 from 8:30 - 11:00 P.M. in The Byron Center. The event is for recent graduates of the University (2006-2015) and current seniors. This fun-filled night celebrates Scranton in the spirit of St. Patrick’s Day. As men and women for and with others, this year we are Shamrockin’ For Others. Shamrockin’ gifts support student scholarships through the Royal Fund. To add some friendly competition, each class will compete in the Shamrockin’ Class Cup Challenge. The class with the highest number of donors wins! Together we hope to reach 500 donors this year.
4/9/16: Day of Service
Various volunteer locations in the following cities: Scranton, Washington, D.C., Baltimore, Allentown, NYC, Boston, Chicago, New Jersey. Click here to see a list of sites and to pitch in!
4/15/16: Parent’s Executive Council Spring Meeting
On campus meeting in The Rose Room, Brennan Hall, featuring keynote speaker Dave Martin, Director of Athletics. Click here to find out more about parent programming.
4/16/16: Medical Alumni Council Symposium
MAC seeks to assist undergraduate pre-health professional students through various programs. All alumni in medical professions are invited to attend. The event will feature stimulating educational topics while also providing an opportunity for our current students to network with successful medical alumni.
4/17/16: Scholarship Brunch
Scholarship donors are provided with the name of their recipient and are given the opportunity to meet the student at our annual Scholarship Brunch held in the ballroom of The DeNaples Center.
4/23/16: SJLA Reunion
All graduates of the Special Jesuit Liberal Arts Program will be invited back to campus for the SJLA Alumni Reunion.
4/29/16 - 4/30/16: Rugby Alumni Reunion Dinner
It’s time to block your calendars again and celebrate another year of Scranton Norseman History. Come join your brothers and support the current team with a golf outing on Friday at Blue Ridge Trail Gold Club, and alumni game Saturday morning with dinner that night. Contact Dennis Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org or 215.237.6348 to sign up as a single or a foursome by or before April 22. To register for the Rugby Alumni Dinner please click here.
5/06/16: 506 Day of Giving
You can participate anywhere: from home, work, campus, or even in your region at a TGI506 happy hour! The 2nd Annual Day of Giving, “Scranton 506,” will be on Friday, May 6, 2016. Scranton 506 is a fun and exciting 24-hour giving campaign for Scranton. Click here if you'd like to get involved!
5/28 – 5/29/16: Commencement Weekend
Join us for commencement, a Legacy Reception for Scranton alums and their now alumni children, and/or the Class of 1966 breakfast and blessing of the medals.
Registration opens in early March. Register early to ensure your on-campus accomodations. Click here for the full list of events!
6/20/16: Carlisimo Golf Outing
This annual tournament and awards dinner celebrates athletics at The Unversity of Scranton and will be held at Saucon Valley Country Club. Registration will open in the next few weeks. For additional information, click here.
- Brown Hall (formerly the Adlin Building) was dedicated on February 18, 2016. It was named in honor of the University's first African-American graduate, Louis Stanley Brown, class of 1919. Watch the powerful keynote by Dr. Yohuru Williams '93 here.
- The Board’s name changed to The Alumni Society Advisory Board (from Alumni Society Board of Governors) at the October Board Meeting.
- The Wheelhouse (Alumni/Student Engagement, Mission & Ministry, and Philanthropy) guides the work of the board.
- Current student, Christopher Kilner ’16 was named 1 of 12 George Mitchell Scholars in the United States. He will be studying in Ireland after graduation.
- Alumni giving at the University is typically around 12%. We are seeking to reach 13% this year with your help. We are the middle of our peer Jesuit institutions. Alumni participation affects the University’s standing in US News & World Report Rankings of colleges and universities throughout the country.
- The new athletic director has been named - Dave Martin.
- An alumni survey will be conducted within the next year to better understand what alumni are seeking from a relationship with the University.
- The University Advancement team and Alumni Board are seeking to better engage regional volunteers. Regional club leaders are critical to developing and providing purposeful engagement activities that help build and strengthen the Scranton alumni network and the University’s reputation. Funding proposals for regional club events can be submitted at www.scranton.edu/alumni