Zoom Etiquette for Students
To ensure a successful zoom classroom meeting, and engage in a productive learning environment, please keep the following “do’s and don’ts” in mind:
- Find a clean, quiet space and dress appropriately.
- Let all household members know when and where you will be in class, and ask them not to disturb you.
- Make sure your full name shows up appropriately.
- Be aware of your background, lighting, and noise.
- Mute until you are required to talk. Use the Zoom functions to communicate if needed (chat, raise your hand, answer yes/no, etc.).
- Use an appropriate zoom background if you wish.
- Turn off/silence cell phone and close other windows on your computer.
- Be on time to class. Communicate with your instructor (via their preferred communication method listed on the syllabus) if you will be late or if you lose your connection during class.
- Pay attention! Maintain eye contact with the speaker on the screen.
- Be prepared to take notes (on your computer or in a designated notebook) or to access course material (have textbook, D2L course page, or readings available).
- Enter a zoom that you weren't invited to, share the zoom access information for your class with others, or enter under a different name.
- Take screenshots, cell phone pictures, or otherwise record the meeting, your classmates, or your instructor without express permission to do so.
- Change your name or change your zoom background during the meeting.
- Walk around during the class meeting.
- Use the chat for side conversations with classmates.
- Sit in front of a window or bright light, this will make your face too dark to see.
- Have conversations with household members off camera.
- Allow household members to walk around behind you during the meeting.
- Engage in texting, social media, work from other classes, or other distractions while in class.
- Student Services
- Faculty Services
- Faculty Development
- Technical Services
- Library Links
- About CTLE
- Dr. Amy Simolo
- Faculty Development Specialist
- LSC, Room 581
- Scranton, PA 18510
- The University of Scranton
- Phone: 570-941-7498