Frequently Asked Questions

The following is a list of questions that are frequently asked by students and parents/legal guardians. If you have additional questions, please contact the Office of Student Conduct.

1. What do I do if I receive an e-mail summoning me to an Educational Conference? - If you receive an e-mail noting that you need to schedule an Educational Conference, you must call the number listed in the Conduct Officer's signature within 24 hours of receipt of the letter. This will ensure that you have a timely meeting with a Conduct Officer and are not found in violation of failing to comply with the directives of a University official. In preparation for your Educational Conference, you are encouraged to review relevant portions of the Student Handbook and the Office of Student Conduct's Website.

2. I was charged criminally for this incident. Why do I also have to go through the Office of Student Conduct? - The University's conduct process serves a purpose that differs from the criminal justice system because it is grounded in the education and development of students and focused on ensuring civility in our community. Students at The University of Scranton must abide by the University's Student Code of Conduct in addition to federal, state, and local laws and ordinances. While criminal charges are filed or citations issued when a person is believed to have violated a federal, state, or local law or ordinance, the Office of Student Conduct becomes involved because of an alleged violation of the Student Code of Conduct stemming from the same incident.

3. My incident happened off-campus. Why is The University of Scranton involved? - As the Student Handbook notes, the University's jurisdiction in disciplinary matters extends to conduct that occurs on the premises of the University and to any conduct that adversely affects the University community, the University's reputation and/or the pursuit of its mission and objectives regardless of where it occurs.

4. Can I have my lawyer and/or parents/guardians present for my Educational Conference and formal hearing? - Neither lawyers nor family members are permitted to attend a student's Educational Conference and any subsequent hearings. The University's conduct process is grounded in the education and development of the student and thus the Conduct Officer involved with the adjudication of a case will deal directly with the involved student. However, students are permitted to have a support person to assist them throughout the conduct process. While students are able to select any member of the University community who is neither a family member nor an attorney to support them in the conduct process, the Office of Student Conduct maintains a list of faculty and staff members who have expressed an interesting in supporting students during the process. Students are responsible for contacting their support person and communicating with them appropriately.

5. Will my parents find out about my violation of the Student Code of Conduct? - Parental notification of a student's disciplinary record depends on the nature of the incident and the record. The University of Scranton views parents and legal guardians as partners in the education of students. Therefore, the University may notify a student's parent(s) or legal guardian(s) of any alcohol and/or drug violations of the Student Code of Conduct in a manner consistent with the Family Educational Rights & Privacy Act ("FERPA"). 

6. What standard of responsibility is used in a conduct hearing? - The University utilizes the "preponderance of the evidence" standard in conduct proceedings. The hearing authority will determine, based on the information presented, whether it is more likely than not that a violation of the Student Code of Conduct occurred. This standard is utilized because it balances the rights of an individual student with the rights of a community of scholars.

7. What is a "Conduct Officer"? - A Conduct Officer is a University official authorized by the Vice President for Student Life to hear information, present information and/or impose sanctions and provisions upon students or student organizations who are found to have violated the Student Code of Conduct.

8. What kind of sanction(s) will I receive if I accept responsibility or am found responsible? - Students who accept responsibility or are found responsible for violating the Standards of Conduct are generally assigned an administrative sanction and one or more developmental sanctions. Sanctions are designed to educate, foster development, encourage thoughtful decision making, and protect the University community. In determining appropriate sanctions, the University considers the nature of the violation including the impact on the community and its members, the institutional sanctioning guidelines, a student’s prior disciplinary history, and the individual student’s needs. This method of determining appropriate sanctions balances consistency with the Ignatian ideal of cura personalis, care of the whole person as a unique individual. To view a listing of University sanctions, click here. 

9. For how long does the University report my disciplinary record to others? - In general, student conduct records are maintained by the Office of Student Conduct for seven (7) years from the date of graduation to ensure compliance with federal laws and regulations. Information from these records will be shared, upon request, with others who have a need to know, in a manner consistent with the Family Educational Rights & Privacy Act ("FERPA") for one year after graduation. Thereafter, information from student conduct records will only be released when required by a lawful judicial order or a subpoena from the courts. Note that records of students who are suspended or expelled from the University will be permanently maintained in the Office of Student Conduct. Information from these records will be shared upon request, with others who have a need to know, in a manner consistent with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act.

10. How do I pay my fine to the University, and what are they used for? - Fines are assigned most frequently for Student Code of Conduct violations involving alcohol or drugs. They are charged to a student's bursar account. Fine money is primarily used to support substance-free student programming.

11. How can I file a complaint regarding another student? - Any member of the University community may file a complaint against any student or student organization for misconduct. The complaint must be prepared in writing by the complainant and directed to the Office of Student Conduct. Alternatively, a student may file a complaint with University Police. The complaint will be reviewed by the Office of Student Conduct and, if necessary, an investigation will be arranged. If the complaint is founded, the Conduct Officer will consult with the complainant and then determine appropriate charges.

Scroll to Top