There are different types of policies that guide the work of any University. Of these, institutional (or University) policies are the most far-reaching; these policies are developed, reviewed, and produced through our formal representative governance processes. Institutional policies are the general guidelines that inform decision making and the development of procedures throughout the University, including policies that are required of the University by way of federal legislation or other mandates. Institutional policies:
- govern institutional procedures, expressing policy in broad terms;
- have widespread application, guiding the work of our campus as a whole - apply to faculty, staff, students, and administration;
- change or are created through the formal policy review process; approval rests with the President's Cabinet and/or the University President
Other types of policies and procedures are defined in the University's Policy Definitions. Many of these apply to specific units or groups within the institution; each document will indicate to whom it applies, as described in our University Policy Template. If you have questions about a specific policy or policy-related document, contact the policy owner or responsible department.
As we continue to refine and improve our policy development and maintenance practices, more policy documents will be captured on this web site. For information related to academic policies and student policies, visit their policy pages as listed at the left hand of this page.
Policies related to iinformation technology & computing are available on the Information Technology web site. Other policies can be found with the Office of the General Counsel, Student Handbook, Office of the Provost, and within the University's undergraduate and graduate catalogs.
The links below capture selected institutional policies and procedures as have been reviewed by the UGC:
- Records Management and Retention Policy
- Mass (Broadcast) Email Policy
- University Speaker Policy
- University Copyright Compliance and Peer-to-Peer Filesharing Policy
- University Privacy and Confidentiality Policy
- Non-discrimination and Anti-Harassment Policy
- Acceptable Use of Computing Resources Policy
- Minors on Campus
- Sexual Harassment and Sexual Misconduct Policy
- Information Security Policy
- Campus Smoking Policy