Tips for Talking with Students
The following are tips for talking with a student about whom you are concerned:
- Speak with the student privately about your concerns regarding his/her welfare and be straight forward.
- Explain specifically what behaviors you have noticed that prompted your concerns.
- Speak in a non-judgmental, respectful manner.
- Allow the student an opportunity to respond sharing his/her thoughts and/or feelings.
- Suggest use of and offer to connect the student with University resources (e.g., Counseling Center, Campus Ministries, Dean of Students) to support him/her.