Gifts of Securities

Gifts of Stock
Stocks and publicly traded securities are easy to give and offer great tax advantages. You can transfer the stock to us electronically through your broker or mail to us the stock certificate and a signed stock power for each certificate. To protect against possible fraud, the certificates and the stock powers should be mailed separately.

The best stocks to use for charitable giving are those that have increased greatly in value, particularly those producing a low yield. Even if it is stock you wish to keep in your portfolio, by giving us the stock and using cash to buy the same stock through your broker, you will have received the same income tax deduction but will have a new, higher basis in the stock.

Appreciated Securities: Property that has risen in value and that you have held for more than one year should be transferred directly to the University. You pay no capital gains on this transaction and you can deduct the full fair market value, which is calculated using the average of the high and the low share price on the date of the gift.

Depreciated Securities: If you have stock losses, you should sell the stock yourself to realize the loss and take the deduction for tax purposes. Then you can generate a charitable contribution by donating the cash proceeds of the sale to the University.

Instructions for Transfer of Stock

If you would like to transfer securities that are NOT DTC eligible or wire transfer cash, please call Carl O'Neil at (570) 941-7479 for information.

Option 1 - Stock wired to The University of Scranton Account through your broker
(easiest and least amount of paperwork for the donor and the University) 

Contact Carl O'Neil, Director of Development Operations at 570.941.7479 or for the University's account number.

Important: When you've made arrangements for the transfer of stock, please send an email to or call (570) 941-7479 to inform The University of Scranton that the transfer is in process. It's very helpful to us if you include all of the following:

  • Name, address, phone number or email address
  • Gift Designation (e.g. Unrestricted Royal Fund)
  • Number of shares of stock
  • Name of the stock (i.e. company)
  • Name of brokerage firm and stock broker making the donor transfer
  • Date of Transaction

Option 2 - Stock Certificate Owner Change 

  1. Have your broker change the name on the front of the certificate to The University of Scranton
  2. Mail stock or securities to:

The University of Scranton
Director of Development Operations
O'Hara Hall 527
800 Linden St.
Scranton, PA 18510

Option 3 - Stock Certificate Transfer:

  1. Sign and date back of stock certificate(s)
  2. Complete an Irrevocable Stock or Bond Power Form for every different CUSIP Number and have your signature Medallion Guaranteed.  (Click here for additional information on Medallion Guaranteed signatures.)
  3. Mail signed Certificates in one envelope and Stock Power Forms in a second envelope to:

The University of Scranton
Director of Development Operations
O'Hara Hall 527
800 Linden St.
Scranton, PA 18510

Scroll to Top