Royals Safe Together

Frequently Asked Questions

Campus remains closed to visitors and the general public except by appointment (e.g. Admissions visitors).
Note this includes all University buildings including the Weinberg Memorial Library.

Non-University guests are strictly prohibited in all residence halls.

Campus tours for prospective students and their families are available by appointment.

  • The number of guests on tours is limited.
  • Visitors will be required to wear masks while on campus and adhere to social distancing and other health and safety requirements.
  • Tours can be scheduled by contacting the Admissions Office at or by calling 888-727-2686.

University President Scott R. Pilarz, S.J., sent a message to students and their parents offering help and advice to those who are responding to serious reductions in family income due to unemployment, underemployment and other losses of income.

The message included the following instructions:
  • Families in need of assistance should contact the Financial Aid Office at or (570) 941-7701.
    • The Financial Aid staff will review and verify updated information to determine if any increases can be made to need-based federal, state and University of Scranton financial aid programs.
    • This will include the University’s Father Sweeney Grant fund.
    • If you have not already done so, families should complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at
  • The University will offer financial counseling to families requesting special assistance to meet their financial educational expenses.
    • Staff from the offices of Financial Aid and the Bursar will work with students and their families on the development of financing plans, which will include a combination of federal student and parent loans and may allow for the development of special payment plans outside of the University’s normal payment policy.

In addition to masks, the University maintains an inventory of other personal protective equipment appropriate to the variety of research, teaching and work that takes place on campus.

  1. Academic and Administrative Departments: The University will provide academic and administrative departments with a supply of PPE to meet unique teaching, research and work requirements.
    • Basic supplies would include sanitizing wipes and paper masks for use should employees or students forget or misplace cloth masks.
    • Other departments may require additional PPE, including gloves, face shields, gowns and foot coverings, depending on the nature of the work.
    • In all cases, departments should monitor their use of PPE and request additional supplies 7-10 days before running out by contacting the Purchasing Department through an online ordering form.
    • Replacement supplies will be delivered directly to departments by Mailing Services within three days of the request.
  2. Students in University Residence Halls: The University will provide students in residence halls with sanitizing wipes for use in their rooms. Students can request replacement sanitizing wipes for their rooms by contacting Residence Life at 570-941-6226 or
A face shield is primarily used for eye protection for the person wearing it. At this time, it is not known what level of protection a face shield provides to people nearby from the spray of respiratory droplets from the wearer. There is currently not enough evidence to support the effectiveness of face shields for source control. Therefore, CDC does not currently recommend use of face shields as a substitute for masks.