Undergraduate Students

New Freshman


At the University of Scranton we strongly recommend that all incoming freshmen apply for financial aid. Our experience is that families who do not apply for financial aid would often be eligible. In addition, students who wish to borrow through the Federal Direct Stafford Loan Program must still complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The University's Title IV School Code to be used on the FAFSA is 003384.


You can complete and submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The FAFSA Title IV code for The University of Scranton: 003384.

University Merit-Based Scholarships

No special application needed. All accepted applicants are evaluated for merit aid based on the complete Admissions application. Scholarship recipients will be notified with their acceptance letters.

University Need-Based Grants

Applicants for need-based grants must file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The preferred application method is via the Internet at www.fafsa.gov. Paper applications are also available from high school guidance offices.

Federal and State Sources

You must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Pennsylvania residents who fill out the FAFSA will also be considered for the Pennsylvania State Grant after completing a supplemental questionnaire that the PHEAA State Grant Program will e-mail to applicants.

Private Awards

Scholarships and grants are also awarded by local civic, church, club and high school organizations. Please consult your high school guidance office on local awards and visit our web site to link to free computerized scholarship search programs.

Loan Programs

Direct Stafford Loans can help you meet your educational costs. In addition, some parents of these students took advantage of the Direct Parent PLUS program to supplement student borrowing. The University of Scranton participates in the William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan (Direct Loan) Program, which offers Federal Stafford Student Loans and Direct Parent PLUS Loans. The lender is the U.S. Department of Education funded by the U.S. Treasury.

Applicants interested in borrowing under the Federal Direct Stafford Loan program must complete Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). For new Stafford Loan borrowers, students will be required to complete an electronic Federal Direct Stafford Loan Master Promissory Note (MPN). In a separate process, students will be required to complete online Student Loan Entrance Counseling.

Parents of dependent students can apply for a Direct Parent PLUS Loan. Parents must first complete a PLUS Request Form which authorizes the U.S. Department of Education to conduct a credit check. If approved, the parent will be required to complete an electronic Federal Direct PLUS Master Promissory Note (MPN). We encourage you to visit the Loans & Financing Options section on the Financial Aid website.

Alternative Loans should be a last option loan. In most cases, eligibility for Alternative Loans is based on the personal credit history and financial circumstances of the family. Since a credit rating is a required part of the loan approval process, the borrower for most programs is typically the student with the parent as a co-signer. Families should first utilize the Federal Loan Programs. Visit the Loans & Financing Options section on the Financial Aid website for additional information on Alternative Loan Programs.

Work Study and Student Employment

Federal and University-funded programs assist students in meeting educational costs through part-time employment in on- and off-campus jobs. Our Career Services Office also assists students seeking off-campus jobs in the private sector. Applicants interested in work study must indicate on the FAFSA.

Tuition Payment Plan

The University provides a no-interest, 10-month payment plan offered through ECSI that allows families to budget annual educational expenses not covered by other aid programs and loans. For more information, view the Loans & Financing Options section of our site.


Financial Aid Application Procedures for New Transfer Students

Transfer students must follow the same application procedures as all other financial aid applicants.

Transfer students are also responsible for providing academic transcripts from previous college(s) to the appropriate University Admissions Office for transfer credit evaluation. Academic transcripts will also be required for measuring the satisfactory academic progress of PHEAA State Grant recipients as well as determining grade level for loan eligibility.


Renewal Application Procedures for KSOM, CAS, and PCPS Students

Every year, prior to the end of the fall semester, returning students are mailed an upperclass renewal letter on the financial aid process for the upcoming academic year. The letter is mailed to the students' home mailing address. The FAFSA must be completed by April 15 by all students applying for need-based aid programs.

The financial aid review process for returning students begins upon the completion of the spring semester, at which time academic progress is evaluated. Students who wish to borrow a Direct Stafford Loan will automatically be reviewed for the loan. Students' parents applying for a PLUS loan must renew the request annually by going through a credit check and requesting a loan amount starting in June.  Alternative Loans must be reapplied for  annually starting in June.  Apply for the PLUS and Alternative Loans for the full academic year.


Non-Traditional Undergraduate Students

Non-Traditional Undergraduate students who are enrolled in degree programs and who wish to apply for financial aid must file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

The Federal Pell Grant is available to full time, half time, and less than half time students. Limited funding is available for the same students through the federal campus based programs; SEOG, Perkins Loans, and Work Study. Students applying for the Federal Direct Stafford Loan or the Direct Parent Plus Loan (dependent students only) must be enrolled at least half time. The Pennsylvania State Grant is available to qualified Pennsylvania domiciles enrolled for at least six credits per term.

Dexter Hanley Full-Time Grant
Reserved for Non-Traditional Undergraduate students enrolled for a minimum of twelve credits per term. Recipients are chosen based upon demonstrated financial need. Renewal of this award is contingent upon the student maintaining a cumulative GPA of 2.00, completion of a minimum of 21 credits per academic year, and continued full time enrollment.
Dexter Hanely Part-Time Grant
Reserved for Non-Traditional Undergraduatestudents enrolled less than full time per term. Recipients are chosen based upon demonstrated financial need. Renewal of this award is contingent upon the student maintaining a cumulative GPA of 2.00, completion of the minimum credits outlined in the financial aid satisfactory progress policy for part-time students (see the Satisfactory Academic Progress requirements in the Comprehensive Guide), and continued enrollment.

The application deadline for new students applying for either of the above grants is May 1 for the fall semester and December 29 for the spring semester. The deadline for returning students is April 15.


Special Scholarships

Other scholarships available to Non-Traditional Undergraduate students are the Robert McDevitt Scholarship, the Newcombe Scholarship for Mature Women, and the Oppenheim Award.  To be considered for the McDevitt Scholarship, the completion of a minimum of 60 credits, demonstrated financial need and a proven track record of academic excellence at The University of Scranton are required.  A student must have completed a minimum of 60 credits and demonstrate financial need to be considered for the Newcombe scholarship.  To be considered for the Oppenheim Award, students must demonstrate financial need.  Preference is given to displaced homemakers.  To apply for the McDevitt, Newcombe or Oppenheim awards, students must file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by April 15th.


Pre-Professional Course Work Undergraduate Students

Financial Aid requires:

  1. A student may apply for a Direct Stafford or Direct Parent PLUS Loan (must be dependent) for coursework the school has documented is necessary to enroll in an eligible program. Students admitted under a pre-professional status who are enrolled in pre-requisite courses for admission into an eligible graduate or pro­fessional program, are eligible to borrow up to $5,500 through the Direct Stafford Loan pro­gram and $7,000 through the Additional Unsubsidized Direct Stafford Loan (if eligible under this program). Students must not have exceeded the aggregate loan limit for an undergraduate dependent student of $31,000 or undergraduate independent student of $57,500.
  2. The courses must be part of an eligible program otherwise offered by the school, though the student does not
    have to be in that program.
  3. If enrolled at least half-time, 6 credits, in prerequisite courses (repeated coursework cannot be counted), be
    eligible for loans for one consecutive 12-month period (not per program) beginning on the first day of the loan period. 
    If the period of preparatory courses spans more than one academic year, the student may receive multiple loans (spring starts only) if the above amounts are not received.
  4. To be eligible for loans under this exception, the student must be taking classes that are pre-requisite for admission.
  5. If only taking the courses to raise a GPA, a student would not qualify.
  6. Must file a FAFSA, Free Application for Federal Student Aid, for the appropriate academic year.
  7. Office of the Registrar and Academic Services must provide to the Financial Aid Office:
    • Letter stating that the courses are pre-requisites for an intended graduate or professional degree program.
    • A copy of the semester schedule and state if classes are repeated. The review will take place each semester.
  8. Once all information is received in the Financial Aid Office, the review will take place to determine if the student is eligible.