Off Campus Application Process
Current sophomore students that wish to live off campus during the 2019-2020 academic year must complete an application process to receive permission for the privilege to live off campus. We encourage all current sophomore students (residents and commuters) to attend an educational session. The application will be based on the OCCSL page in Royal Sync. Staff from Off-Campus and Commuter Student Life and Residence Life are excited to work with students on this process. Please review the information on this page to learn more about the process.
This process is designed to:
1. Educate students about being good citizens within the broader Scranton Hill Section community.
2. Provide students with the tools and resources needed to have a positive experience living off-campus.
3. Maintain an accurate knowledge base of student residences and addresses, which is important for safety.
4. Ensure students are fully aware of the pros and cons of off-campus living.
Application Process Overview
Current sophomores seeking to live off-campus for 2019-2020 must complete the application process by November 1, 2018. This process includes the following:
- Completion of the online application in Royal Sync. The application will go live in mid-September.
- Attendance at an educational session. Additional information is provided below.
- Review of academic and disciplinary standing as of December 31, 2018.
Notice of application status will be provided to students via email by January 28, 2019, either providing permission to move off campus or requiring an additional meeting with a department representative during February 2019 prior to receiving permission.
Mandatory Off-Campus Living Educational Sessions will be held in September and October 2018. Both resident and commuter students are required to attend one session as part of the application process; failure to do so will result in an incomplete application and permission may not be granted to live off campus. The sessions will last less than one hour and provide information about the process, on and off campus resources, community expectations, and codes/law.
- Specific details (dates, times, locations) for the educational sessions will be provided soon.
Each applicant will be notified via University email as to whether they are released to live off-campus for 2019-2020 prior to the start of the Spring 2019 semester. Applicants should refrain from signing a legally binding lease/agreement prior to receiving a decision regarding their application.
Things to consider when thinking about leasing off campus:
- Are there hidden costs such as utilities?
- Who am I living with and how well do I actually know them? (i.e., roommate conflicts, shared responsibility for behaviors at the house)
- How will this move impact my academics?
- How will living off-campus affect my connection to campus?
- Where do I want to live off campus?
- What kind of living environment is right for me?
- Apartments? Split house? Large multi bedroom home?
- Have I discussed my plans with my parents or guardians?
- Do I understand what’s expected of me? (i.e., Off-Campus Behavior Policy)