Information Update - Fall 2008
From the Library Dean
- Welcome to the new academic year. I would like to bid a fond farewell to our two retiring library faculty members, Katie Duke and Jane Wang. Their contributions are too many to name here. We as a Library and University are blessed to have worked with them these many years and had them as a part of our community. As one door closes and we bid farewell, another door opens with great anticipation and promise. Please join me in welcoming our two new Library Faculty, Donna Mazziotti and Kristen Yarmey-Tylutki. Donna is serving as our new Evening Public Services Librarian and Kristen as our new Digital Services Librarian.
- Last year the Library began a subscription to RefWorks, an online research management and writing tool. It allows each user to create their own personal database, import references automatically from multiple databases, organize those references and format the references into bibliographies. It can make a real difference to your research. For more information, please contact Professor Kevin Norris at ext. 4000.
- During the summer of 2008, the Library and CTLE introduced the Scholarly Research and Academic Integrity Tutorial to the new freshmen class. Taken by all freshmen and transfer students each summer before beginning classes, the tutorial is designed to educate each student about the importance of academic integrity in lifelong learning. It promotes academic integrity by increasing students' awareness of the issues and offering dilemmas/strategies to protect themselves from academic dishonesty situations. Faculty can use it as an educational resource to supplement their classroom discussions on academic integrity. For access, please use: http://academic.scranton.edu/department/wml/acadtutorial.html.
- This fall the Friends of the Weinberg Library will hold its eleventh annual drawing, Leaves of Class to support the Friends of the Library Endowment Fund. Your $20 donation means 12 chances to win extraordinary prizes. Among the prizes are a new computer and printer, a diamond bracelet, gift certificates to several area restaurants, tickets to several local theatrical productions, cash prizes, services for personal care, home furnishings, jewelry and clothing, a year's worth of best-sellers from The University of Scranton Bookstore, season passes to local theaters and concerts, and many more gifts. Tickets are available in the Library Administrative Office or by contacting Kym Fetsko, Assistant to the Library Dean, at ext. 7816.
- Finally the Schemel Forum opens the academic year with an exciting new event called University for a Day. This annual event will give members of the public a tasting of the renowned Schemel offerings that the Schemel Forum members have come to enjoy each year. It is scheduled for Saturday, September 6th, beginning at 10:00 am. The event fee is $20.00. Please contact Kym Fetsko at ext. 7816 for more information.
- My best wishes for a wonderful academic year.
Charles E. Kratz