Events & Exhibits - Fall 2006
Best Selling Author Phillip M. Margolin To Receive Distinguished Author Award
- The 2006 Royden B. Davis S.J. Distinguished Author Award will be presented to best selling author Phillip Margolin on October 7th, 2006. In addition to being honored with the award, Mr. Margolin, a former criminal defense attorney, teacher and self taught writer, will lecture the University of Scranton’s creative writing courses on Friday, October 6th, 2006.
- During a recent telephone call with Atty. Margolin, he informed me of his love for teaching and sharing what he has learned over the years. In fact, while finishing his last few years of law school Atty. Margolin taught junior high school in the South Bronx. He has also been President and Chairman of the Board for Chess for Success, a non-profit charity that teaches chess to elementary and middle school children in Title I schools.
- A quick visit to Atty. Margolin’s website, www.phillipmargolin.com, and you will find a man who is dedicated to his fans. He states, “This web site gives me the opportunity to communicate with more of my readers...I enjoy answering questions on this web site and at book signings because I would have loved an opportunity to ask somebody about writing when I was starting out.” Atty. Margolin frequently chats with fans who visit the message board link on his website. So whether you have a question on a character in one of his books or on how to conquer writer’s block, you will most certainly get an answer.
- Since Atty. Margolin went from practicing law to writing full-time in 1996, all of his novels have been best sellers. His novels have received various literary awards including an Edgar nomination for his first novel, Heartstone, The Literary Guild Main Selection honor for Gone But Not Forgotten, The Burning Man, Wild Justice, and Lost Lake, Book of the Month Club Selections for After Dark ,The Undertaker's Widow, Wild Justice, and the Oregon Book Club Award for Wild Justice, and Lost Lake. His latest book, Proof Positive, published by HarperCollins, hit bookstores on June 27th, 2006.
Atty. Margolin lives in Oregon and has been happily married to his wife Doreen since 1968. They have two children.
- For more information on the prestigious 2006 Distinguished Author Award Event or for tickets, contact Kym Fetsko, c/o the Weinberg Memorial Library Dean’s Office at (570)941-7816 or email email@example.com. Additional information may also be found at www.scranton.edu/authaward.