Information Update - Fall 2012
Library Renovates Second Floor
- The last issue of the Weinberg Library's Information Update reported on several changes that were to take place on the second floor of the Library during the spring and summer of 2012. Following are highlights of those changes and an invitation to visit the building to see how we have retrofitted the space to accommodate the needs of our students and take advantage of the technological changes that have allowed us to create much-needed group study space.
- All formats of periodicals are now housed on the 2nd floor. Current as well as bound journals can now be found in the former index abstract area immediately off the elevator lobby. Microfilm and fiche cabinets have been condensed and moved to the former newspaper shelving area.
- The reference collection has been weeded. Materials have been reclassified and moved to the circulating collection, updated with newer additions, or discarded in an environmentally-friendly manner. Four complete ranges of shelving have been removed.
- The entire floor has been re-carpeted.
- New furnishings, including two modern banquettes with booth-like seating, have been installed in the former microfilm area, thanks to a generous gift from the Friends of the Library in honor of the 20th anniversary of the building.
- Two additional group study rooms, enclosed in sliding glass with wood and fabric panels, have been added to the area which formerly housed the microfilm machines.
- Additional carrels have moved to this floor from the third and fourth floors, making those areas less crowded.
- A fresh coat of paint and new plants have completed the renovated area.
- Please stop on the second floor of the library to see our newly improved space!