Honoring the Bishops of Scranton, Church and the Jesuits: The Campus
Byron Recreation ComplexDedicated in 1986, the Byron Recreation Complex is named for Rev. William J. Byron, S.J., president of the University from 1975 to 1982. A national expert on business ethics, Fr. Byron left Scranton to serve as president of the Catholic University of America. The Byron Complex houses the University’s intramural gymnasium facilities, pool and athletic offices.
Campion HallCampion Hall, the Scranton Jesuit residence, is named in honor of the 17th-century English martyr St. Edmund Campion. He was recognized as a brilliant scholar and orator who was tortured and murdered for his defense of the Roman Catholic Church and the Catholic priesthood during the English persecutions. The building is home to the Jesuit Community of Scranton who serve The University of Scran¬ton and Scranton Preparatory School.
Ciszek HallBuilt in 1988 as the Center for Eastern Christian Studies, Ciszek Hall was dedicated in 2005 to the memory of Fr. Walter Ciszek, S.J., a native of northeastern Pennsylvania and a candidate for sainthood. Fr. Ciszek spent 23 years in Soviet prisons and the labor camps of Siberia. The chapel in Ciszek Hall hosts services held in the Byzantine rite.
Chapel of the Sacred HeartChapel of the Sacred Heart, a beautifully renovated building of the former Scranton Estate, is a place for quiet reflection and daily Mass.
Dorothy Day HouseA residence hall acquired in 1999, Dorothy Day house is named in memory of journalist-turned social activist Dorothy Day. A devout Catholic and founder of the Catholic Worker Movement, she is remembered for her social justice campaigns in defense of the poor and the marginalized.
Fitzpatrick FieldFitzpatrick Field is the University’s main outdoor athletic facility and home to our soccer, field hockey and lacrosse teams. Prior to his death in 1987, Rev. John J. Fitzpatrick, S.J., served the University for 22 years in various roles that included dean of men, Jesuit minister and student counselor. A dedicated fan of Royal athletics, “Fr. Fitz” served as a faithful chaplain to athletics teams for many years.
Galvin TerraceGalvin Terrace, a beautifully landscaped outdoor patio adjacent to the Weinberg Library, is dedicated to the honor of Rev. Aloysius Galvin, S.J., who was president of the University from 1965 to 1970.
Gannon HallGannon Hall was named after Rev. Edward Gannon, S.J., who died in 1986. Founder of the Special Jesuit Liberal Arts Program, he was the first to earn the title “University Professor,” allowing him to teach in any department. The residence hall was built in 1991.
Gonzaga HouseGonzaga House, a student residence, is named for St. Aloysius Gonzaga, the patron of Catholic youth. Born to a noble Italian family in 1568, he entered the Jesuit novitiate at age 14. There he distinguished himself as an excellent student of philosophy and theology. Though in delicate health, he devoted himself to the care of the sick, and as a result fell ill and died in 1591.
Hafey HallHafey Hall is named after Bishop William Hafey, the fourth Bishop of Scranton who was responsible for transferring the administration of The University of Scranton from the Chris¬tian Brothers to the Jesuits in 1942.
The Loyola Science CenterThe Loyola Science Center is the most significant building in the history of the University. As the academic heart of our campus, it is fitting that it bears the name of Saint Ignatius. Saint Ignatius and his companions were instilled with a desire “to seek God in all things.” This altogether Jesuit way of proceeding has led to many great accomplishments in the sciences. From Matteo Ricci, S.J., to Pierre Teilhard de Chardin, S.J., Jesuits have found themselves at home on the edges of knowledge. The Loyola Science Center is a place of research, scholarship, teaching and discovery, a place for faculty and students to find God in all.
The Long CenterThe Long Center commemorates Rev. John J. Long, S.J., president of the University from 1953 to 1963. Fr. Long’s tenure was marked by remarkable growth in the University’s facilities. The Long Center was dedicated in 1967 and is the primary indoor athletic facility for interscholastic collegiate events. Its spectator seating capacity is 4,500, and the building includes weight rooms, lockers and gymnasium facilities. The 10,000-sq.-ft. Exercise Science facilities were added in 2001.
MacKillop HallMacKillop Hall is a residence hall named in honor of Saint Mary of the Cross MacKillop, an Australian nun who founded the Sisters of Saint Joseph of the Sacred Heart and who publicly exposed the sexual abuse of children by a priest. In her life, she faced persecution and excommunication, during which she was assisted by the Jesuits until later being absolved. Pope Benedict XVI named Sr. Mary Australia’s first saint in 2010.
Madonna della Strada ChapelMadonna della Strada Chapel, the University’s principal worship site, is named in honor of the Marian image of “Our Lady of the Way.” This image of the Virgin Mary holding the Christ Child was greatly loved by St. Ignatius Loyola, his early companions and Jesuits today. The image originally adorned the sanctuary in the first chapel of St. Ignatius and his Jesuit companions. Today, the image is enshrined in the round chapel of the Gesù, the Mother Church of the Jesuits in Rome.
The Metanoia (Transformation) sculpture is located at the center of the campus where the Royal Way and the University Commons intersect. This large sculpture depicts Ignatius surrendering his soldier’s sword at Montserrat. This significant event marked the beginning of his new life as a “soldier for Christ.” The base of the sculp¬ture, like all the cornerstones of those buildings erected under the Jesuits, contains the Latin motto of St. Ignatius and the Society of Jesus, Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam – “All for the greater glory of God.”
The Rev. Bernard R. McIlhenny BallroomThe Rev. Bernard R. McIlhenny Ballroom, dedicated in the fall of 2009, is ballroom in the Patrick & Margaret DeNaples Center. It is named in honor of Rev. Bernard McIlhenny, S.J., who served as dean of admissions at The University from 1966 to 1997. He is currently dean of admissions emeritus at the University and minister of the Jesuit Community at Scranton.
The McShane Executive CenterThe McShane Executive Center, named for Rev. Joseph McShane, S.J., president of the University from 1998 to 2003, is located on the fifth floor of Brennan Hall. It features the latest in high-technology meeting spaces for the entire University and the regional business community.
Nevils HallNevils Hall was named for Rev. Coleman Nevils, S.J., the first Jesuit president (1942¬47) of The University of Scranton. The residence hall was built in 1965. The Panuska College of ProfessionaL Studies, located in McGurrin Hall, and the Panuska Tower, the bell tower attached to Redington Hall, are named in honor of Rev. Joseph Allan Panuska, S.J., president of The University of Scranton from 1982 through 1998. Fr. Panuska’s tenure is the longest in the school’s history. He led the University through a significant physical expansion as well as a substantial increase in the number of faculty and an improvement in the University's reputation for academic excellence.
Peter Faber ChapelThe Peter Faber Chapel is the centerpiece of the University’s Retreat Center at Chapman Lake, 20 minutes north of Scranton. The Chapel is named for Bl. Peter Faber who, together with St. Francis Xavier and St. Ignatius Loyola, served as the nucleus of the Society of Jesus. Born April 7, 1506, Peter Faber was the first of the companions to be ordained a priest. The Chapel, which was dedicated on November 8, 2006, accommodates approximately 60 people. It features full-length windows with resplendent views of Chapman Lake.
Pilarz Hall was dedicated in 2011 in honor of. Scott R. Pilarz, S.J., the 24th President of The University of Scranton. Fr. Pilarz was known for accomplishing transformational projects at the university during his eight-year tenure.
Rock HallRock Hall is dedicated to Rev. Joseph A. Rock, S.J. Fr. Rock served as dean of the Graduate School, dean of the Evening College, vice president of Development, and academic vice president. He served at the University from the mid-1950s through his retirement in 1975. A former Episcopalian church, Rock Hall was acquired in 1983 and houses Madonna della Strada Chapel.
Romero PlazaRomero Plaza is named in honor of the late Oscar Romero, Archbishop of San Salvador, who will be canonized by Pope Francis on October 14. Murdered in 1980 while saying mass in San Salvador, Archbishop Romero remains an inspiration to millions, including many on the University’s campus who have made the moving pilgrimage to El Salvador.
St. Thomas HallDedicated in 1962, St. Thomas Hall is the namesake of St. Thomas College, now The University of Scranton. St. Thomas Aquinas is a 13th-century philosopher and theologian, patron of Catholic universities, colleges and schools. St. Thomas Hall was part of the first “cornerstone of development.”