International students in both F-1 and J-1 visa types have permission to find on-campus employment but are limited to 20 hours per week during the semester.  On campus employment is generally very competitive.  Students should not expect to support their tuition and living expenses through an on-campus employment because positions generally only pay about $7.50 an hour. Once a student graduates, s/he is no longer authorized to work on-campus.


Students interested in off-campus employment should seek advice and approval from the Office of International and Scholar Services staff before working off-campus. The authorized off-campus employment is limited to the following:

  • Curricular Practical Training
  • Optional Practical Training
  • Severe Economic Hardship   

A J-1 student interested in off-campus employment may be eligible for Academic Training or Economic Need Employment. Academic Training is a type of off-campus work authorization for employment in a student's field of study. Students interested in working off-campus must schedule an appointment with the Director of the OISSS to verify that work authorization is applicable.