Staying Legal in the U.S.
In order to maintain legal status in the United State as a F-1 or J-1 student, an international student should consider the following:
- Keep passport valid ( 6 months minimum )
- Always carry I-94
- Complete 12 credits each semester if undergraduate; 6 credits if graduate, unless you have prior approval from the Office of International Student and Scholar Services ( OISSS ) staff for fewer
- ALWAYS visit with the OISSS staff BEFORE dropping any classes
- Request an extension PRIOR to current I-20 /DS2019 expiration
- Tell your OISSS staff if you plan to transfer to another college or university
- Get a new I-20/DS2019 for any change in major or degree level
- After you finish your degree, leave the U.S. within 60 days (F-1) or 30 days (J-1)
- Do NOT work off campus or participate in internship (CPT) without prior authorization
- Do NOT work on campus more than 20 hours per week while school is in session
- Report any change in local address to the OISSS staff by sending an e-mail to email@example.com
- Have the OISSS staff sign your I-20/DS2019 if traveling outside the U.S.