PBC Member Edition
As we prepared this year's final edition of the PBC e-Newsletter, we did so with our thoughts and prayers for so many of our University alumni, students, parents and friends who live and work in those areas that have been impacted by Hurricane Sandy. We hope that you and your families are warm and safe. If there is any way that we can offer assistance please do not hesitate to contact us.
At noon tomorrow, November 7, there is a special Mass on campus to pray for those who have lost lives, loved ones, homes and possessions. Please feel free to respond to this message with any special intentions that you would like us to include in that Mass or with any other special intention that you would like us to include in the daily masses offered on campus throughout the month of November.
For more on the University response, you can visit our special
website by clicking on this link.
- The Eleventh Annual Award Dinner on October 4 was another successful night for the President's Business Council and the University. The dinner raised over $1 million for the Presidential Scholarship Endowment Fund. With nearly 550 in attendance, The Lynett-Haggerty Family was well-represent with nearly 35 family members and many friends there to support them. To read more about the evening program please see The University Press Release.
- The PBC conducted a Business Networking Trip to Philadelphia
on September 19 with 12 students from the Kania SOM. In addition to the
individual visit at SEI Investments (detailed below), students also met
with alumni (Mike Burns '91,
Rich Gentleman '93
and Barbara Gotsch '82)
at Aetna, Inc., and Kate Toolan Madden '01, Clinical Team Manager at PPD and
Owner/President of Fresh Start Resumes LLC. Prior to our
return to campus, a Networking Reception for the students was held with current
and prospective PBC members in the Greater Philadelphia area. University
President Kevin P. Quinn, S.J., was also in attendance and provided a University
Update to the attendees. Business Networking Trips and Receptions provide
students with the opportunity to interact with alumni to further enhance the
students' "soft skills" for professional development.
- On October 2 the Kania SOM Business Club hosted the 2012 Fall Recruiting EXPO. There was a strong turnout of Kania SOM students to meet with representatives of the 17 companies in attendance.
- On October 25-26 the PBC conducted a Business Networking Trip to Washington,
DC, with 12 students from the Kania SOM. Upon arrival on Thursday
evening, a Networking Reception for the students was held with current and
prospective PBC members in the Greater Washington, DC, area. On Friday,
prior to returning to Scranton, the students visited with Theresa Pattara,
Esq., '95, former Tax
Counsel to the Senate Finance Committee and Senator Chuck Grassley’s
Office. Theresa is transitioning to H&R Block in Kansas City.
Visits were also held at the offices of Angela Bidnick '04, Senior Consultant
at Booz Allen Hamilton, and Bill Kovacs '69,
Senior Vice President for Environment, Technology & Regulatory Affairs for
the U.S. Chamber of Commerce.
- In early August the PBC launched its new website! While it is still a work in progress, please visit us at www.scranton.edu/pbc and let us know what you think and what you would like us to add to these pages.
Alumni Club Christmas Receptions
- November 30, 2012 * Washington,
6:30 – 9:00 p.m. – Christmas Reception at National Press Club
- December 1, 2012 * Scranton, PA
5:30 – 7:30 p.m. – Christmas Reception prior to Noel Night Concert
- December 6, 2012 * Baltimore, MD
6:30 – 8:30 p.m. – Christmas Reception at Heavy Seas Alehouse
- December 13, 2012 * Philadelphia,
6:30 – 9:00 p.m. – Christmas Reception at Rittenhouse Hotel
- December 14, 2012 * New York, NY
6:30 – 9:00 p.m. – Christmas Reception at InterContinental New York
PBC Member HighlightsAlan Griffith ' 76, Senior Vice President, Finance & Administration, Food and
Support Services (retired), ARAMARK Corporation, was the Keynote
Speaker atthe October 2nd Kania SOM 2012 Fall Recruiting EXPO
Annual Dinner. Alan spoke to 150 faculty, students, staff, and corporate
recruiters at the dinner. In addition to sharing his personal and
professional experiences, Alan offered his career preparation insights to the
Dennis McGonigle '82, Executive Vice President & CFO at SEI Investments
Co., hosted 12 students from the Kania SOM at the SEI offices in Oaks,
PA, as part of the Business Networking Trip to Philadelphia on September
19. Rachele Mackin
Browning '84, Regional Director for the Institutional Group at SEI,
also participated in the visit. During this meeting,
which included a tour of SEI, Dennis and Rachele shared information about their
career experiences, their current roles at SEI, and the company culture of
SEI. The students were also treated to lunch at which time more alumni
currently working at SEI joined the conversation.
Dan Shea '83 was
recently named Vice President for Sales at Arrow Electronics. Dan joined
Arrow Electronics after a 29-year career with IBM. In his new position
with Arrow, Dan will remain in the Greater Boston area.
Kristen Williams '92, Senior Vice President-Head of Campus Recruiting for Bank
of America Merrill Lynch in New York City, and her husband, Dan, are pleased to
announce the birth of their son, Edward, on September 28. Teddy was
eagerly welcomed by his big sister, Eleanor, age 3.
- On September 27-28 the Loyola Science Center was dedicated for the University community and friends. The state-of-the-art facility is equipped with 22 class and seminar rooms, 34 laboratories and a multi-story atrium. Learn more about the Loyola Science Center in this Press Release
- Family Weekend, held September 28-30, had a record number of over 2,900 students and family members participating in the weekend’s various activities. Press Release
- On Monday, October 22, Edward Glaeser, Ph.D., the Fred and Eleanor Glimp Professor of Economics in the Faculty of Arts and Sciences at Harvard University discussed “Economics of the City” at The University of Scranton’s fall Henry George Lecture Press Release
- On Thursday, October 25, Peter Bergen, a CNN National Security Analyst discussed his recent book, “Manhunt: The Ten Year Search for Osama bin Laden: From 9/11 to Abbottabad,” at the Honorable T. Linus Hoban Memorial Forum. Press Release
- For the eighth consecutive year, the University is again recognized as one of the nation’s “Top Producers of U.S. Fulbright Students” by The Chronicle of Higher Education. Press Release
- Both of the University’s soccer teams have secured berths to their respective NCAA Division III Tournaments. The women’s team did so by winning their third straight Landmark Conference title. The women's team will face Bowdoin College on Saturday in the first round at Ithaca College. Press Release The men’s team received an at-large bid to face Elms College on Saturday in the first round at Babson College. Press Release