Lori Walton, PhD, DPT, MS, MPH(s), CLT
Department of Physical Therapy
University of Scranton
800 Linden Street
Scranton, PA 18510-4586
Office: Edward Leahy Hall (ELH)
Voice: (570) 941-
Email : email@example.com
MS, Andrews University
MPH(s), John's Hopkins
DPT, Creighton University
PhD, Nova Southeastern University
- Courses Taught
- Research Interests
- Professional Activities
- Publications and Presentations
- University/Department Service
- Community Service
FallPT 707/707L Applied Clinical Neuroscience for PT
PT 722L Rehabilitation II for PT-- Women's Health Module
PT 743 Psychosocial Aspects of Disability in PT
PT 754 Diagnosis in PT
PT 756 Professional Practice Issues in PT
SpringPT 711 Neurological PT I
- Effects of Toxic Stress on Health Related Quality of Life, Executive Functions, and Health Outcomes for Women Living in UAE
- Validity Study on Harvard Trauma Scale translation into Bengali Language + Impact of Toxic Stress on Health Related Quality of Life and Health Outcomes for Women Living in Poverty in Bangladesh.
- Effects of Toxic Stress on Health Related Quality of Life, Executive Functions, and Health Outcomes for Women Refugees
- Advanced Certification in Teaching and Learning Methodology, London, UK 2018-2019
- Mulligan Lower Extremity Certification, 2019
- Dry Needling Level I and II Advanced Certification, 2015-Present
- Certified Lymphedema Therapist, 2012-Present
- Certified Medical Exercise Therapist, 2014-Present
- Advanced Certification in Clinical Education CI Training, 2010-Present, USA
- Completed Advanced Training in Prenatal and Postpartum, 2012-Current, USA and UK
- Advanced Pelvic I-III Completed, 2009- Current, USA
- Completed Advanced Training in Women’s Health Trauma, 2017-current, USA
- Enrolled Certificate in Global Health and Maternal and Fetal Health- Johns Hopkins University-current
- Certificate in NIH Grant Writing, USA
- Certificate for Human Research Protections (IRB) OHRP, USA
- Completed NAIOMT Training, Level I-III, USA
- Emirates Physiotherapy Association Scientific Board Member, 2018-Present
- World Confederation on Physical Therapy (WCPT), Elected Research Abstract Review Committee, 2018- 2019, Geneva, Switzerland
- Bangladeshi Physiotherapy Association Member, 2014- present
- American Physical Therapy Association, member, 1995 to present
- Phi Beta Delta, International Scholar Honor Society, 2011 to present.
- World Confederation on Physical Therapy (WCPT), Elected Research Review Committee, 2014-2015, Singapore
- APTA Women's Health Section Member, Current
- Leadership in Advocacy for the Physical Therapist & Physical Therapist Assistant Insurance Issues in Kansas, 2010
- APTA, Education Section, Elected Officer
- APTA Neurology Section Member American
- Physical Therapy Association Oncology Section Member American Physical Therapy Association Research Section Member
- Kansas Physical Therapy Association, Nominating Committee, Officer, Mentor, Current American Academy of Orthopedic Manual Physical Therapists
- Women's Health Special Interest Group Leader/Organizer, KPTA, 2005-2006 Bangladesh Physical Therapy Association, 2009-present
- International Board Member, Hope Foundation, Cox’s Bazaar, Bangladesh, Consultant and Development of Women’s Health Initiative for the Socioeconomically Challenged and Underserved Populations to Reduce Maternal Morbidities and Mortality, 2011-present.
- Bangladesh Health Professions Institute, 2010-present, Honorary Faculty, Consultant for curriculum and program, Dhaka, Bangladesh for Master of Science Physical Therapy Program and MS in Rehabilitation Science.
- Bangladesh Health Professions Institute, 2010-present, member of Institutional Review Board (Ethics Committee- CRP).
- Editorial Reviewer for World Confederation on Physical Therapy Research Abstract Submissions, current 2018.
- Bangladesh Health Professions Institute, 2010, Physical Therapy Program (MS),Dhaka, Bangladesh, Lectures to Physical Therapy Students, Assistance to faculty on curriculum development
- Center for Rehabilitation of the Paralyzed (CRP), May 2010, Savar, Bangladesh, Set up International Affiliation for PTA Students, Research advisor and editor.
- Editorial Reviewer for Journal of Physical Therapy Rehabilitation, 2013-2014.
- Book Reviewer for “Health Services: Policy and Systems in Physical Therapy” by Sandstrom R., Lohman H., and Bramble J. 2007.
- Editorial Reviewer for Journal for the Poor and Underserved, Meharry Medical College, 2007-2012. Editorial Reviewer for Journal of Health Ethics, 20011-12.
- Article Reviewer for Jordan University of Science and Technology, The Effects of Constraint Induced Therapy on Patients with Stroke, 2008.
- Article Reviewer for “Women’s Sexual Reproductive Health in Bangladesh” by Noorjte Lubbers, 2010.
Bitar, D., Walton, L.M., Mohamed M.E., Schbley, B., & Adel, M. (2020). Differences in dual task paradigms and executive function ability for recreational athletes in United Arab Emirates. Journal of Physical Therapy Science, 32(11): 1-8.
Bani-Issa W., Dennis CL, Brown HK, Walton LM, Ibrahim A, AlShujairi A, Almomani F. The Influence of Parents and Schools on Adolescents’ Perceived Diet and Exercise Self-Efficacy: A School-Based Sample from the United Arab Emirates. Journal of Transcultural Nursing.
Walton LM, Raigangar V, Abraham S, Hernandez M, Krivak G, Buddy C, Caceras R, (2019). The effect of an 8-week nutrition and exercise program on pelvic pain (PFDI), incontinence (IIQ-7), health related quality of life (SF-36),breastfeeding patterns and nutritional intake for prenatal and postpartum women: A bilingual study in Spanish and English. April 2019, Physiotherapy Research International.
Walton L (2018). The Effects of Bias Based Bullying on health, education, and cognitive-social-emotional outcomes in children with minority backgrounds: Comprehensive Public Health Intervention Solutions. Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health. Apr;20(2):492-496.
Pierce C., Walton LM, Oakley E, Caceras R, Sadow H, Yoder K (2018). Playing related musculoskeletal pain among College-Level Music students before and after an informative lecture by a physical therapist. Orthopedic Physical Therapy Practice, November 2018.
Walton LM, Asumbrado R, Behrens MA, and Machamer L (2018). Relationship between Nutrition (REAP), Exercise (VSAQ) and Premenstrual Syndrome Severity (PSST). Correlational, cross-sectional, purposive sample of 75 females ages 18-55. Journal of Physiotherapy & Physiotherapy Rehabilitation, June 3(1).
Walton L (2018). Health and Human Rights of Syrian Refugee Women and Children: UN Convention on Refugees Revisited. Journal of Health Ethics, 14(2).
Walton L, Schbley B, Zaaeed N (2017). Investigating the Validity and Reliability of a Newly Developed Screening Tool for Intimate Partner Violence: Utilization in Physical Therapy Practice. International Journal of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation.
Walton L, Costa A, LaVanture D, McIlrath S, & Stebbins B (2016). The Effects of a 6 Week Core Stability Exercise Program Compared to a Traditional Abdominal Strengthening Program on Diastasis Recti Abdominis Closure, Pain, Oswestry disability Index and Pelvic Floor Disability Index Scores (PFDI), Journal of Physical Therapy and Rehabilitation, March, 2016.
Colgrove YM, Walton LM, & VanHoose DL (2015). The Effects of Intraprofessional Collaborative Case-Based Learning: A Cohort Study of Student Physical Therapist and Physical Therapist Assistant Perceptions of the Physical Therapist Assistant's Role. Journal of Interprofessional Education and Practice. 5(1): 24-35.
Walton, L, Ambia, J, Parvin, R, et al. (2014). Incidence and Impact of Urinary Incontinence, Pelvic Pain, and other Co-morbidities on health related quality of life for postpartum women living in rural Bangladesh. International Journal of Maternal and Child Health, 2(2): 86-100.
Walton, L., Akram, F, & Hossain, F (2014). Health Beliefs, Attitudes, and Perceptions of Muslim Women Living in the United States and Implications for Health Care Providers, Journal of Health Ethics, 10(2): 1-27.
Walton, L, Abreu, C, Jeffus, E, Trautwein, A, & Xavier, S (2014). Pelvic Pain, Pelvic Organ Prolapse, Urinary and Colorectal Distress Impact and Relationship to Quality of Life and Birth Mode, Journal of Physical Therapy and Rehabilitation, 10(2), December 2014.
Al-Jarrah, M, Batainch, Z, Obaidar, H, Walton, L (2013). Endurance exercise training protects against the upregulation of nitric oxide in the striatum of MPTP/probenecid mouse model of Parkinson’s Disease. Neurorehabilitation, 32(1): 141-147.
Walton, L. (2013). Gender Equity Theory and Maternal Mortality and Morbidity in Bangladesh. Journal of Health Ethics, 9(1), 1-10.
Walton, L. (2013). Cultural Barriers to Maternal Health Care in Bangladesh. Journal of Health Ethics, 9(1), 1-12.
Walton, L. (2012). Socio-economic Barriers to Maternal Health Care in Bangladesh. Indian Journal of Physiotherapy and Occupational Therapy, 6(3), 162-172.
Walton, L., Brown-Cross D. (2012). Validity and Reliability of the Bengali IIQ-7 and SF-36 for Utilization in Postpartum Bangladeshi Women. Indian Journal of Physiotherapy and Occupational Therapy, 6(1), 51-62.
Walton, L. (2010) A Study on Legal and Ethical Issues of Health Care Practitioner Pro Bono Work, Journal of Health Ethics, Volume 6, number 2, December 2010.
Walton, L. (2009) Law and Ethics: Stem Cell Research (2010) Chapter 1: Ethics Analysis of Human Embryonic Stem Cell Research, Hyderabad, India.
Walton, L. (2008) Ethics Analysis of the Human Embryonic Stem Cell Research Debate, Journal of Health Ethics, Volume 2, 2008.
Walton, L. (2006) Studying the Risk of Falls in Patients with Fibromyalgia: Cover Story for Advance for Physical Therapists: October 26, 2006 17(23): 10.
Walton L (2018). Prenatal and Postpartum Physiotherapy Exercise Manual.
Walton-UmKashif L (2016). Maternal Mortality and Morbidity in Bangladesh and Health Related Quality of Life: Problem Solving with Community Programs in Education and Research.
Walton L (2017). Spinal Cord Injury Care Manual for Students and Clinicians.
Walton LM et al (2021). Focused Symposium FS-WCPT-2021-00058. Optimizing Physiotherapy Services for People with Refugee or Migrant Experience. World Confederation for Physiotherapy (forthcoming).
Walton LM (2020). Impact of toxic stress on maternal and fetal cognitive and physical health outcomes and health related quality of life for global, vulnerable populations of women and children. Keynote Speaker, 3rd International Conference on Rehabilitation Sciences, Riphah International University, Lahore, Pakistan, (Forthcoming, March2020).
Walton LM, Raigangar, V (2020). Neurobiological Adaptations to Modern Stress and Decreased Physical Activity Levels, ARTZT Symposium, January 2020, Montabaur,Germany.
Walton LM (2020). Evidence Based Women’s Health Manual Physiotherapy, Bangladeshi Health Professions Institute, Savaar, Bangladesh, December 2019.
Moustafa I, Shousha T, Walton LM, Raigangar V, Harrisson, D. (2020). Effects of a Sagittal Thoracic Posture-Corrective Orthosis Compared to Traditional Multimodal Rehabilitation Program on Health Outcomes for Subjects with Chronic Nonspecific Neck Pain: A Randomized-Controlled Trial. CSM, 2020, Denver, Colorado (Poster Presentation).
Walton LM, Raigangar, V, Kalsoom Naqashband N, Moustafa I, Gadgieva N, Wangde Qasim K, Basem Mahmoud Najjar O, Fady Mahfouz B (2020). Does Core Stability Predict Low Back, Sacro-Iliac and Pelvic Ring Dysfunction in Long Distance Runners? Combined Sections Meeting, Denver, Colorado. (Poster Presentation).
Walton LM, Raigangar, V (2019). Development of an Innovative Inventory for Musculoskeletal Pain and Perceived Stress (WIMPPS). Presented at the United Arab Emirates Ministry of Health and Prevention Innovation Conference, 2019.
Walton LM, Raigangar, V, Alghabra, N., Itani, R, et al. (2019). Development of a Clinical Prediction Rule for Non-specific Knee Pain. Presented at the University of Sharjah Research Forum.
Walton LM (2019), Raigangar, V., Schbley, B, Zaaeed, N (2019). Invited Chair and Speaker for World Congress Physiotherapy WCPT 2019, “Focused Symposium” on Toxic Stress, Trauma and Pain Management in Vulnerable Populations (competitive symposium), Geneva, Switzerland.
Walton LM, Abdulkarim M, AlAtrash A, Al Khaled S, Bitar D, Ebrahim M, Emad N (2018). Physical Activity Levels During Pregnancy and Prediction of Maternal Stress and Maternal Health Realted Outcomes in Women Living in UAE. Accepted for Combined Sections Meeting (CSM), American Physical Therapy Association (APTA), (Platform “Noteworthy Research” Presentation), Washington DC, 2019.
Walton LM, Khattab S, Ali Pour N, Neyyer Z, Almuzzaini N, & Aldossarey N (2018). Prevalence and Impact of Pelvic Floor Dysfunction (PFDI), Pelvic and Low Back Pain (QBPDS) on Health Related Quality of Life (SF-12) and Maternal Health Outcomes for Postpartum Women Living in United Arab Emirates (UAE): by Mode of Birth Delivery", Combined Sections Meeting (CSM), American Physical Therapy Association (APTA), Poster Presentation, Washington DC, 2019.
Walton LM (2018). Invited Speaker at the International Growth and Development Conference, Dubai, 2018. Toxic Stress effects on neurobiological and epigenetic changes and long term health outcomes for vulnerable populations of women and children.
Walton LM (2018). Invited Research Presentation at HOPE Foundation for Women and Children of Bangladesh, International Congress on Fistula and Fissure Repair, February 2018.
Walton LM, Schbley B, Zaaeed N (2018). American Physical Therapy Association Combined Sections Meeting, New Orleans, LA, Effects of Toxic Stress on Maternal and Child Health Related Quality of Life, Chornic Disease, Fetal Development and Health Outcomes from Women and Children Living with Refugee Status in Lebanon, Jordan, Egypt, and USA, February 2018 (Research Presentation)
Walton LM, Schbley B, Zaaeed N. (2018). American Physical Therapy Association Combined Sections Meeting, New Orleans, LA, Effects of Toxic Stress on Refugee Health and Implications for Rehabilitation, 2018 (Educational Session Presentation (2 hours), Invited Speaker)
Walton LM (2017). Invited Keynote Speaker for the Bangladeshi Physiotherapy International Symposium, December 23, 2017, Impact of Disability on Women’s Health Issues and Rehabilitation.
- Lead on New Curriculum Development and Assessment for Physiotherapy Programs, University of Sharjah, 2017-Present.
- University Curriculum Committee, 2019-2020.
- College of Health Professions Continuing Education Committee, 2019-2020.
- Organized the final research oral and poster presentations for the physiotherapy department at University of Sharjah, UAE, 2017-2020.
- Provided consultation and continuing education (40 hours) to Masters of Rehab Program and MSPT Students at University of Dhaka, Bangladeshi Health Professions Institute, (Topics included: Musculoskeletal Assessment and Obstetrics/Gynecologic Patient, Statistics and Research, and Exercise Prescription), April 01-07, 2018.
- Participated in organization for “Physiotherapy Day” at University of Sharjah, local community, OB/GYN Awareness; Fall, 2017.
- College Council, University of Sharjah (UOS), 2017-present Research Committee, University of Sharjah (UOS), 2017-present
- Chair of Curriculum Assessment Committee, Department of Physiotherapy, University of Sharjah, 2017- present
- Research Grants Committee, SUNY Upstate Medical University, 2016-2017 Scholarship Committee, SUNY Upstate Medical University, 2016-2017
- University Accreditation Ethics and Legal Committee, SUNY Upstate Medical University, 2016-2017 Department Accreditation Curriculum and Assessment Committee, SUNY Upstate Medical University
- University Senate, Andrews University, 2014-2016 University Faculty Research Grants Committee, 2012- present
- School of Health Professions Research Committee, 2012- present University Research Council Member, 2012- present
- IRB Committee Member, Andrews University, 2012-present Post-professional DScPT Program, Andrews University, 2012-present University Assessment Committee, Washburn University, 2008-2010 Academic Affairs Committee, Washburn University, 2009-2010 University Senate, SAS representative, Washburn University, 2008-2010
- University Undergraduate Retention Committee, Washburn University, 2008 Curriculum and Policy Committee, Washburn University, 2007-2009
- Pro bono service to women and children in Sharjah, UAE, PRN, 2017-present.
- Pro bono service to women and children in Center for Rehabilitation of the Paralyzed in Savaar, Bangladesh, 2009- Present (40-120 hours every year)
- Pro bono prenatal and postpartum maternal health program for women with socioeconomic challenges, Women Infants & Children, S. Bend, Indiana.
- Pro bono women’s health physical therapy services to the local community, Indiana, ongoing.
- Bangladeshi Health Professions Institute/University of Dhaka, Consultation for Curriculum Development for MScPT Program, 2010-Present.
- Volunteer Physiotherapy Services to Hope Foundation, Cox’s Bazaar, Bangladesh, 2011-present.
- Volunteer Physiotherapy Services/consultation to The Center of Rehabilitation of the Paralyzed, Dhaka, Bangladesh, 2009- Present
- Outpatient Orthopedics and Women’s Health, Marian Clinic Volunteer Physical Therapist (St. Francis Health Center Affiliated), Topeka, Kansas, 2006 to 201