Mary Jane S. Hanson, Ph.D, CRNP, CNS, FNP-BC, ACNS-BC, FAANP, FAAN
Professor and Director of Graduate and DNP Programs
- B.S.N., Cedar Crest College
- M.S.N., University of Pennsylvania
- Ph.D., University of Pennsylvania
- Adult Clinical Nurse Specialist
- Adult Nurse Practitioner
- Family Nurse Practitioner
- Inducted as a Fellow into the American Academy of Nursing, 2020.
- Inducted as a Fellow into the American Association of Nurse Practitioners, 2018.
- Provost Enhancement Award for Excellence in Scholarly Publication – from the Provost at the University of Scranton for distinction among university faculty in scholarship and creative activity, 2014.
- Outstanding Educator - named by the Northeast PA Business Journal, 2005
- Distinguished Scholar Award - from the University of Massachusetts-Boston, College of Nursing for distinguished scholarship and research, 2000
- Marion R. Gregory Award - from the University of Pennsylvania presented to the PhD student for the dissertation that has the most promise to add significantly to nursing knowledge, 1995
- Friends of Nursing Scholar Award - from Gnaden Huetten Hospital presented to the nurse who has demonstrated significant scholarship in practice - 1988
- Elected to Delphi - Cedar Crest College Honor Society, 1982
- Graduated Magna cum laude from Cedar Crest College, 1982
- Eastern Nursing Research Society
- American Association of Nurse Practitioners
- National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculties
- PA Coalition of Nurse Practitioners
- American Nurses Association
- PA State Nurses Association
- Cigarette smoking
- Women's health
- Cross-cultural study
- Adolescents’ risk behaviors
- Primary health care
Dr. Mary Jane Hanson has over 30 years of teaching experience and has been a faculty member at Scranton since 1996. Her current teaching responsibilities include family nurse practitioner theory and practice courses, advanced pharmacology, and systems leadership, all at the graduate level. In addition, she has over 25 years of experience as a nurse practitioner and maintains a current part-time family nurse practitioner practice, as well as an active research agenda.
Dr. Hanson has published more than 35 papers in national and international peer-reviewed journals including Nursing Research, Western Journal of Nursing Research, The Journal for Nurse Practitioners, Nursing Education Perspectives, Journal of Health Management and Public Health, The Journal of the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners, American Journal of Critical Care, The American Journal for Nurse Practitioners, American Journal of Nursing, and Nursing Management. In addition, she regularly presents her research at regional, national, and international conferences. Dr. Hanson has been very successful at securing grant funding and has successfully authored federal grants for the graduate nursing program totaling approximately four million dollars.
She is active in service to her profession and has served as an appointed member on national committees for nursing accreditation and smoking cessation. In 2019-2020, she served as the Chair of the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education Board of Commissioners. Dr. Hanson also volunteers on committees at her church and for local animal shelters. Mary Jane’s hobbies include horseback riding and showing her Arabian horses. Two of her horses have received very prestigious lifetime achievement awards for their numerous horse show wins.