Instructional I Teacher Certification
The University of Scranton majors that are also Teacher (Educator) Preparation Programs are approved by the Pennsylvania Department of Education (PDE), accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE), and nationally recognized by Specialized Professional Agencies (SPA).
Entrance to the Teacher (Educator) Preparation Programs within the College of Education is through a formal Teacher Candidacy Screening Process.
1. To obtain Instructional I certification in Pennsylvania, candidates must also complete the following requirements:
- a. Complete all Retention and Exit criteria required in order to successfully complete a Teacher (Educator) Preparation Program.
- b. Obtain Pennsylvania Qualifying scores for the PRAXIS Series or PECT tests required by PDE in effect at the time of recommendation by the University for certification.
2. Candidates must be of good moral character, possessing personal qualities, professional knowledge, and skills which warrant issuance of a teacher's certificate (School Laws of Pennsylvania, Article XII).
3. Candidates also must be United States citizens, not in the habit of using narcotic drugs in any form or excessive amounts of intoxicating beverages (School Code 1209), and not convicted of a criminal offense nor currently under indictment (Act 34 and Act 151).
4. Candidates must apply for teacher certification using PDE’s online Teacher Information Management System (TIMS) and submit a University of Scranton Request for Recommendation for Pennsylvania Professional Educator Certificate before a certifying officer from the University of Scranton can recommend them for certification. The Request for Recommendation for Pennsylvania Professional Educator Certificate must be filed with the Education Department secretary, 129 McGurrin Hall, 800 Linden Street, Scranton, PA 18510. The form can be faxed to (570) 941-5515 or emailed to email@example.com.
5. Representatives in the Education Department will verify a candidate’s successful completion of all necessary exit criteria for a Teacher (Educator) Preparation Program in conjunction with a program representative’s approval. The certifying officer also confirms a candidate’s eligibility for the teaching credential on the Teacher Information Management System (TIMS).