TechCons are students who volunteer and are selected to assist faculty, staff, and students with the use of technology for teaching and learning purposes. They possess excellent technical skills, are web savvy, and enjoy working one-on-one as well as in a team environment.
Some of the services offered include: demonstration and instruction on technology available, assistance in getting started using ANGEL and its advanced features, developing sophisticated web pages, creating E-Portfolios, enhancing PowerPoint presentations by incorporating sound and graphics, scanning, and audio/video streaming services.
TechCons will receive the following:
- Flexible hours
- Hourly compensation
- Appreciation meetings
- Gain invaluable technical experience for your resume
- Ongoing technical training and development in emerging technologies
- Supervision by the Instructional Technology Enrichment Specialist and Instructional Technologists
- Opportunity to contribute toward the advancement of instructional technology in teaching and learning at the University
Qualifications necessary to become a TechCon
- Eligibility for Federal, State or University work study funds
- Possession of a strong balance between technical skills and interpersonal skills
- Willingness to learn a web courseware tool called ANGEL and assist faculty in using it
- Experience designing and creating web pages. This includes knowledge about HTML editors, tables, frames, graphics, animation, audio and video, etc.
- Familiarity with computing resources on campus as well as Internet resources such as newsgroups and electronic mail
- Experience creating PowerPoint presentations including incorporating graphics and animation and scanning text, graphics and slides.
- Experience with various software applications such as MS Office, FrontPage, Adobe, Flash, etc.
- Willingness to meet with the Instructional Technology and Enrichment Specialist on a regular basis and as needed.
- Ability to work independently on projects and follow-through and meet deadlines
- Willingness to learn and apply new knowledge and techniques
- Desire to assist the University in its mission to support the integration of technology into teaching and learning
Interpersonal skills we are looking for include:
- Well organized
- Good time management skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Dependable and flexible
- Maintain a positive attitude
- Ability to work independently as well as on a team
Responsibilities of TechCons
- Meeting with faculty, staff, and students to assess their technological needs and determine how to best achieve them
- Working one-on-one with faculty, staff, and students to implement the use of technology into teaching and learning. This includes assistance with the use of the University's web courseware software called ANGEL as well as creating and designing web pages
- Scheduling appointments with users, following through on projects and meeting deadlines effectively
- Providing assistance in workshops and training seminars including preparation (advertising, scheduling, documentation)
- Scheduling appointments and manage projects with users
- Creating and maintaining of various Web sites
- Attending training sessions that are provided to all TechCons
- Attendance at team meetings (1 hour, every 2 weeks) to discuss the status of projects
- Being knowledgeable about the services being offered to enhance teaching and learning through the use of technology
- Reading email at the beginning of your working shift and frequently throughout the day
- Assisting with special projects as they arise
Instead, they will help student writers learn to manage these important tasks themselves.
If you would like to find out more about becoming a TechCon, contact Aileen McHale, the CTLE Instructional Technology and Enrichment Specialist .
The application is temporarily down. To apply, please contact Aileen McHale, the CTLE Instructional Technology and Enrichment Specialist .
- Student Services
- Faculty Services
- Faculty Development
- Technical Services
- Library Links
- About CTLE
- The University of Scranton
- 800 Linden Street
- Scranton, PA 18510
- The University of Scranton
- Phone: 570-941-7400