The Language Learning Center
The Language Learning Center is dedicated to enhancing the quality of the language learning and teaching at the University of Scranton. The LLC supports the mission of the University to educate women and men for others through its training programs and outreach activities. In addition, the Language Learning Center serves the promotion of justice through its extensive community service such as translating documents, visiting local schools, and providing free language and ESL tutoring to community members.
Location and Hours of Operation
Location: O'Hara Hall 306
Monday - Thursday: 9 A.M. - 10 P.M.
Friday: 9 A.M. - 3 P.M.
Sunday: 6 P.M. - 9 P.M.
Services Available at the Language Learning Center
The Language Learning Center offers the following services for free to University students:
- Weekly tutoring in Spanish, French, Italian, Chinese, and more
- To improve your language proficiency, meet with a tutor once or twice weekly to review class materials, work on homework, practice listening or speaking, etc.
- To apply, complete this form and return it to Hannah Jackson
- Drop-in tutoring in Spanish, French, Italian, Chinese, and more
- Stop by the LLC during its hours of operation for drop-in tutoring in the world languages
- English conversation partners
- Non-native English speakers can set up a time to meet with a native speaker to practice their conversation English skills
- Weekly conversation hours
- Every week, LLC tutors lead weekly conversation hours in Spanish, French, and Italian
- Practice your listening and speaking skills one-on-one with fluent speakers--no sign up required
- For more information about this semester's conversation hours, see here
- Language placement tests
- If you are planning to enroll in a language course and have not taken a placement test, see this page and contact the LLC Director to receive the log-in information for a language placement test in Spanish, French, Italian, German, or Chinese
- Movie nights and DVD viewings
- Each semester, language faculty host movie nights for various languages. Visit the LLC to see what movie nights are coming up!
World Language Resources
- English as a Second Language tutoring for members of the Scranton community
- For members of the community who would like to improve their English proficiency, they can contact the LLC for free one-on-one English tutoring
- Fill out this form and return it to Hannah Jackson
- Cultural events, campus visits, and on-site visits for local schools
- Local schools can contact the LLC Director to arrange for WLC TAs to visit their schools or arrange a visit to the University of Scranton
Director, Language Learning Center
308 O'Hara Hall
- Minors and Concentrations
- Faculty and Staff
- Language Learning Center
- Study Abroad
- News and Events
- Alpha Mu Gamma
- Internships and Experiential Learning
- Ambassador Newsletter
- World Languages and Cultures Handbook
- World Languages in University Catalog