Responsibilities of Student Advisees

Upperclassmen are advised by a faculty member in their major. Students can find the name of their academic advisor on their Curriculum and Program Planning (CAPP) Report. Additionally, a student can find a faculty member's office hours in the Faculty Office Hour Directory.  

To enable your faculty advisor to serve you most effectively, you need to assume responsibility for your program of study. Additionally, you need to be aware of University policies and procedures that affect your academic status. At a minimum, you should do the following:

  1. Learn to read your CAPP report. Your CAPP report contains all requirements needed to graduate in your major, as well minors, concentrations and special programs. It is to your advantage to understand the report so that you can plan your academic career and keep on track to graduate on time.

  2. Maintain a personal academic file. This file should include copies of each semester's CAPP report, the student copies of any schedule or programmatic changes and copies of any paperwork relative to grades.

  3. Read the Undergraduate Catalog. This does not mean you should read the catalog from cover to cover, but use it as a reference book. Become familiar with the requirements for your major (and minor or concentration, if applicable) as well as the general education program and its academic regulations. Consult the catalog course description for any course you plan to take to insure you have completed all necessary prerequisites. 

  4. Allow adequate time for advising during pre-registration. You have the responsibility of making an appointment with your advisor as early as possible during the registration period. Some faculty post sign-up sheets on their office door for advising appointments and others use e-mail. Ask your advisor how you should make advising appointments.

  5. Prepare for your advising meeting. Before meeting with your faculty advisor, prepare a potential schedule and an alternate schedule of classes. Consult the course descriptions in the undergraduate catalog to insure you have completed all necessary prerequisites. Examine your CAPP report for potential discrepancies and bring them to the attention of your advisor when you meet with them. Complete the CAS Registration Form to best of your ability. 

  6. Keep your faculty advisor informed of changes in your program of study. If you declare a minor, concentration, second major, etc., you will need your advisor's signature on the Change of Curriculum form (which can be obtained in the Academic Advising Center, St. Thomas Hall, 209). If you make changes in your schedule after your advisor has signed your CAS Registration Form and given you your term personal identification number (PIN), you are responsible for finding out whether the changes meet degree requirements. When in doubt, ask your advisor. If you have a double major, you will need to see advisors in both majors.

  7. If you participate in special academic programs, you will need to keep your faculty advisor and the program director informed. If you participate in the Special Jesuit Liberal Arts (SJLA) or Honors Program or if you have a concentration, you need to consult with both your departmental advisor and the program director. If you study abroad, you should consult with your advisor and the study abroad director early in the planning process and during your time abroad.

  8. Keep informed of deadlines within the Academic Calendar. Timelines for drop-add, course refunds, registration, and application for graduation vary from year to year and students should keep themselves informed of these deadlines.