Managing Alcohol Incidents Committee
The Managing Alcohol Incidents Committee (MAI) was established in August 2009 with a mixed focus on prevention and intervention. Specifically, the goals of MAI are to gather information on alcohol related issues at the University, explore factors within the campus community that contribute to high-risk alcohol use, and work to reduce high-risk alcohol use through partnerships with others in the University and local community.
The Managing Alcohol Incidents Committee (MAI) is chaired by Dr. Monica Thomas, Director of the Center for Health Education and Wellness. For more information on MAI, please contact Dr. Thomas at email@example.com or (570)941-4253. Other MAI members include:
- Stephanie Adamec - Off Campus and Commuter Student Affairs
- Cpt. Tom Cadugan - University Police
- Sherry Dougherty, MSW - Counseling Center
- Barbara King - Director of Residence Life
- Lauren Rivera - Director of Student Conduct
At the outset of each academic year, MAI sets areas of focus for the upcoming year and establishes subcommittees to address the areas of focus. For the 2012-2013 academic year, the subcommittees are as follows:
- Institutional Partnerships: This committee, chaired by Dr. Thomas, is responsible for outreach to faculty, staff, and administrators on issues related to alcohol and prevention efforts at the University. Goals may include, but are not limited to, offering information sessions to the campus community and creating curriculum infusion opportunities and resources. This year, efforts are directed primarily toward curriculum infusion funded by a PLCB grant.
- Student Education:This committee, co-chaired by Barbara King and Sherry Dougherty, works with various student groups to offer alcohol education and programming. They have conducted an analysis of prevention and education efforts currently in place for the purpose of expanding educational offerings without duplication and completed a "gain-framed" message campaign in Spring 2012.Currently, they are working with Athletics and the Wellness Learning Community on educational efforts.
- Social Host: This committee, co-chaired by Stephanie Adamec and Cpt. Cadugan, works with the local community and off-campus population to collaborate on alcohol prevention efforts. They reach out to individuals including, but not limited to, Scranton Police Department, University Police, University administrators, and the magistrate to discuss University goals and how these constituencies may support each other in addressing a community issue particularly as it relates to social hosting. Currently, the committee is working on a social host workshop that will be offered to students.
- Marking and Communication: This committee is tasked with developing and promoting a marketing campaign designed to showcase the mission and goals of the Managing Alcohol Incidents Committee as well as the accomplishments of the group thus far. This committee is responsible for website maintenance.