Off Campus Resources
Garbage and Recycling Disposal
While disposing of trash and recycling is typically the responsibility of the tenant, it is imperative to consult your lease or rental agreement to determine who is responsible for trash disposal. Keep your residence and neighborhood clean of trash by using the trash tips below.
City of Scranton Department of Public Works
The Department of Public Works is responsible for trash and recycling collection in the City of Scranton.
OFFICE HOURS: M – F, 8:00 to 4:30
PHONE: (570) 348-4178
- Scranton Hill Section Pick-Up: Thursday Morning
- Holiday Pick-up: Next day
- 2 Bags per person in rental unit per week
- City recycling bins are free of charge ( with proof of residency) and are available at The City of Scranton's Refuse and Recycling Department located at 101 West Poplar Ave.
- Blue recycling bins: bottles/cans
- Red recycling bins: paper goods
Trash Do's and Don'ts
- Do: Place bagged garbage in sealed bins to avoid unwanted animal guests!
- Don't :Take garbage bins to the curb more than 24 hours prior to normal collection time.
- Do: Remove garbage bins within 12 hours after collection.
- Don't: Allow litter collect in your lawn or on the sidewalk in front of your residence. Check for litter at least once a week (Sunday morning is usually a good time to do this!).