What is a ResCon?
ResCons (Residential Consultants) are work-study eligible students who are selected to assist in supporting Residential Networking at the University of Scranton. They live on or off campus and troubleshoot network connectivity problems that they're fellow students. ResCons receive the following:
- flexible hours
- a monthly stipend
- appreciation parties
- admission to faculty/staff training seminars
- an opportunity to work in the IR Division under the work study program
- an opportunity t o work with emerging technologies and to gain invaluable experience.
If you are interested in finding out more about ResCons or want to apply for a ResCon position, please fill out the online ResCon Application. By accepting a ResCon position with the IR Division, you are committing to continued employment for a full academic year (August through May). You will be notified via E-mail if you have been selected for an interview.
What are the qualifications to become a ResCon?
- The applicant should have a good balance between technical skills and interpersonal skills.
- Have your own computer.
- Be familiar with computing resources on campus as well as Internet resources such as newsgroups, electronic mail, and the World Wide Web.
- Have intermediate knowledge of Pc's and Macintosh computers and strong troubleshooting and human relation skills. Limited training will be provided to all qualifying students. Experience in consulting, teaching, or tutoring is preferred.
- Be responsible and available to accept/resolve/close ResNet problems. ResCons must read email and check problem tracking software for ResNet problems multiple times each day.
- Be self motivated.
- Be willing to work additional hours during Move-In Welcome weekend and the first month of the fall semester (September). ResCons work 15 hours during a two week period.
- Attend bi-weekly ResCon meetings to discuss the status of ResNet problems and stay abreast of technology issues on campus. Food and beverages will be provided.
- Be available to work during Royal Weekend weekend (Friday, Saturday, and Sunday).
- Be available to attend a mandatory training session (full-day) that is held the Thursday before Move-In Weekend.
- Be knowledgeable about the contents of the ResNet web pages.
Interpersonal skills we're looking for include:
- strong written and verbal communication skills
- experience helping and teaching others
- ability to work on a team
- well organized
- good time management skills
How can I apply for a ResCon position?
Students can fill out an online ResCon Application. The application will be reviewed and qualifying students will be contacted to set up an interview.