Each month we will highlight some of the key events from the University’s history that took place during that month. For this first installment, we will cover September and October, both busy months in the academic year.
September 6, 1892 - Classes begin. On the morning of September 6, 1892, a solemn high Mass in the College chapel marked the formal opening of the College of St. Thomas of Aquin – soon shortened to St. Thomas College.
September 10, 1897 - In 1897, the Christian Brothers, a religious teaching congregation founded by St. Jean-Baptiste de la Salle, took responsibility for the administration of St. Thomas College.
September 23, 1942 - Bishop Hafey officially welcomed the Jesuit community to Scranton at a Solemn Mass of the Holy Ghost, held at St. Peter’s Cathedral.
October 1958 - The University acquired the final pieces of the Scranton Estate from the Scranton family: Scranton Hall, the greenhouse and a small squash court structure.
Early fall was also when most of the new building dedications took place on our campus:
• September 10, 1958 - First quad of dorms dedicated - Casey, Fitch, Martin, and McCourt Halls
• September 18, 1960 - Alumni Memorial Hall
• September 19, 1961 - Gunster Memorial Student Center
• September 16, 1962 - St. Thomas Hall
• September 27, 1986 - Byron Recreational Complex
• September 8, 1987 - Campion Hall
• September 24, 1988 - Hyland Hall
• September 25, 1992 - Weinberg Memorial
• September 17, 1992 - McDade Center
• October 1999 - McGurrin Hall
• October 2000 - Brennan Hall
• September 10, 2008 - Condron Hall
• September 28, 2012 - Loyola Science Center
For more information on these and other events, visit the timeline on the anniversary website – 125th.scranton.edu