November 24, 2009: Student News
Shamrockin’ Invitation for Graduating Seniors – SAVE THE DATE, MARCH 12!
Hey Class of 2010! Don’t be too hasty planning your spring break just yet! Make sure you save the date for the biggest event on campus! On March 12th, 2010, the University of Scranton’s Alumni Society is hosting its second annual Shamrockin’ Eve. The event is for those only of the graduating class of 2010, as well as alumni from the past five graduating years. It is one big celebration to introduce you to the Alumni family, while kicking off Parade Day Weekend! Save the date – March 12th, 2009 featuring Blackthorn (a Celtic Rock band from Philly) and of course, YOU!
Visit www.scranton.edu/shamrock for more information.
Students from the ALD First Year Honor Society and Community Outreach Office are conducting a COAT DRIVE. Help your fellow students by donating your NEW or CLEAN, GENTLY USED COAT(S) to help individuals in need this winter. Donations for MEN, WOMEN, and CHILDREN will be accepted from November 2 – December 1, 2009. Drop-off boxes are located on the first and second floors of the DeNaples Center. New GLOVES and HATS are also appreciated. All items collected will be given to United Neighborhood Center and the Leahy Clinic on campus. Clean out those closets over Thanksgiving vacation! For additional information, please contact Mary Ellen Pichiarello x. 4039 or Ellen Judge x. 7429
USPB Mission & Identity
We will be showing G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra, on Tuesday December 12th at 8 pm in the DeNaples Center Moskovitz Theater 401. If you have any questions contact Liz Klassner at klassnere2@ scranton.edu or the Student Forum at X 6233.
USPB Senior Programmers
Seniors join us for our holiday party at Tink's on Friday Dec 4th from 7-10 p.m. $20 for Open Bar from 7:00 p.m.- 9:00 p.m. and free food! Must have senior social status to attend. Ticket, Valid State ID & Royal Card required for entrance to Tink's & State ID & Royal Card required to purchase tickets. Tickets are on sale Nov 23rd-24th & 30th & Dec 1st-4th from 11:00 p.m.-1:00 p.m. (cash & royal card) & 5:00 p.m.-7:00 p.m. (cash only). If you have any questions contact Analiese Crosby at email@example.com, Becky DeMilio at firstname.lastname@example.org or Mindy Markus at email@example.com or the Student Forum at X 6233.
Don't forget to visit out website at www.uspb.org.
Summer Study Abroad in Florence Italy
Languages and Cultures are happy to announce the Summer Study Abroad in
Florence, Italy, in June 2010. Students will enroll in courses and live
in Florence for the duration of the program. The program will also
include day trips to other exciting Italian destinations. Applicants
must be in good standing at the University of Scranton and must meet GPA
requirements. Applications due on or before December 1. For more
information, please contact Dr. Picchietti at picchiettv1 or Dr.
Caporale at caporalem2.
On Campus Housing December Closing Information
This is a reminder that all University of Scranton housing will be closed over the Winter Break from 6:00 P.M. on Saturday December 12, 2009 through Noon on Sunday, January 31, 2010. Please note that the University of Scranton, including the Office of Residence Life, is closed from December 24 through January 3. Access to all buildings will be denied to any student who did not receive official written approval from the Director of Residence Life. Students will not be permitted to return to campus prior to the regularly scheduled opening of the residence halls at Noon on Sunday, January 31, 2010 unless they have registered for intersession classes or received permission to return to campus for Intersession housing due to extenuating circumstances (athletics, employment, internship, etc.). Intersession housing for those students opens at Noon on January 3, 2010.
As you prepare to check out of housing in December, consider the following information:
-24 Quiet Hours begin Monday, December 7 at 8:00 p.m..
-All students must check out within 24 hours of their last final.
-Take home your keys and Royal card and follow all closing instructions listed on your Outta Here form given to you by your RA/CA.
-The residential areas close at 6:00 p.m. on Saturday, December 12.
-Contact a Residence Life staff member if you have questions.
All residential students living in freshmen or sophomore buildings are required to maintain a dining plan if they are residing on campus during Intersession. All residents with a dining plan can make an online request through UIS to decrease their plan for Intersession. Residents who live in the on campus houses or apartments can request to remove their dining plan during Intersession. These online requests must be completed prior to the end of the fall semester.
The Leadership Series Presents:
How to Make Your Club YOURS!
Who? The DeNaples Leadership Staff
What? A presentation for club leaders on how to put your own personal
spin on your club. Ways to be creative and let your personal goals
shine will be discussed.
When? Tuesday, December 1st 7:00 p.m.
Where? DeNaples 406
Contact Nicole Zullo at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information
Spring Concert Anyone? USPB 2010 Spring Concert 2nd Survey
You chose Jack's Mannequin last year; now help us decide who will be performing at the USPB 2010 Spring Concert!
Vote on the 2nd survey by logging onto my.scranton. The survey will be available from Monday November 16th to Monday November 30th at 11:59p.m..
Don’t be worried if your favorite artist was on the first survey and not on the second, they may still have a chance!
This concert is for everyone at the U; so vote and make it your own!!
Questions: Contact x6233 or visit us in the Student Forum on DeNaples 2nd Floor.
Need Service Hours?
Never got around to completing those required service hours? Here's a few ideas to get you moving....
- November & December- various dates. Help answer phones with pledges for WVIA public TV. Your own transportation necessary to Pittston. Contact email@example.com
- November 12-30. Write holiday cards to soldiers. Must be mailed by Dec 1. Contact Brenda at firstname.lastname@example.org for address and mailing info.
- November 24- Friends of the Poor Thanksgiving Dinner at the Scranton Cultural Center. Peel potatoes, set and decorate tables, carve, serve and carry, clean up. 9:30-a.m. – 9:00 p.m.. Contact 570-348-4428.
- November 25- Family to Family Thanksgiving Basket giveaway at the Scranton Cultural Center. Unload trucks, basket packers, distributors. 6:00 a.m.-2:00 p.m. Contact 570-348-4428.
- November 27th – Dec 24 - Holiday Gift Wrap for UCP. Individuals and groups are welcome to sign up. Viewmont Mall. The booth opens daily at noon. Contact 570-347-3357 or email email@example.com.
- November 27th – Dec 24. Christmas Gift Wrap Program at Steamtown Mall needs individuals/groups between 12:00 p.m.-6:00 p.m. to benefit Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. Contact Pamela at Pamela.firstname.lastname@example.org
- December 4, 5, 7 &10- EOTC needs elves for their Toyland workshop where kids shop for their families. Set up and tear down workshop, test out the toys. Contact Carlene at email@example.com
- December 6- The Community Outreach office is hosting a Holiday Party for agency children from 1:00 p.m.- 4:00 p.m. Help decorate the Ballroom, serve food, do a craft table, help with Santa pictures, assist with sing a long. Contact Ellen Judge at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Whole School Year- Everhart Museum at Nay Aug Park needs students to help with advertising/marketing/public relations. Flexible hours. Contact Lauren White at email@example.com
- Whole School Year – Schedule and present programs on Cancer Education to groups and clubs as a part of the Northeast Regional Cancer Institute team. Contact Pat Lawless at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Whole School Year – Volunteers can help Dress for Success on a flexible schedule during business hours in downtown Scranton. Sort clothes, help with office work, suit clients. Contact Laura at Lackawanna@dressforsuccess.org.
- Whole School Year- Be a troop leader for Girl Scouts at community housing developments. Contact Amy at email@example.com
- Whole School Year- Leahy Clinic (located on campus in McGurrin Hall) needs help organizing clothes and food donations for clients. Mondays 10:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m. and Tuesdays 4:00 p.m.-5:00 p.m. Contact Anna Dicolli at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Whole School Year- Repower America needs volunteers to shoot videos and pictures about citizens who care about the environment. Also doing phone canvassing for support. Flexible hours. Contact email@example.com
- Whole School Year – Elm Street Project. United Neighborhood Centers will put volunteers together with local community justice teams (district attorney, police, property inspectors) to address blighted areas, code violations and delinquent property owners to deter crime. Contact Stephanie at firstname.lastname@example.org
Red Out Basketball Game
AIDS DAY PRAYER SERVICE
Send us your Feedback! Parents who wish to unsubscribe or subscribe to Royal News, may do so by sending an e-mail to Royal News. Please include your name, name of your student(s), and whether you are unsubscribing or subscribing.