This Month in Our History - May

glee350.jpg
The College's Glee Club, whose first performance was in May 1925.

May 1925 – First Performance of Glee Club

The College’s Glee Club gave its first performance in May 1925, singing two selections: “Loch Lomond” and “The Anvil Chorus” from Il Trovatore. Several of the ensemble’s 27 members also performed solo and duet selections to complete the concert.

May 1950 – First Radio Station

radioThe University’s radio presence began in 1950 with its first radio station, WUSV-FM. At first, operating on 10-watt power, the station could only be heard within a 10-mile radius. By the late 1950s, however, thanks to a 1000-watt transmitter formerly used by Scranton Times FM station WEJL and donated by Times publisher Edward J. Lynett, WUSV’s broadcasts from the 100-foot radio tower atop Loyola Hall could be heard from Berwick to Forest City.

Moderated by Rev. R. F. Grady, S.J. and completely student-staffed, the station devoted a significant amount of airplay to classical music and live concerts from around the world. It also broadcasted round table discussions, lectures, and other educational programming.

May 1951 – ROTC Established

rotc

The University’s Army Reserve Officer Training Corps unit was established in 1951. Enrollment in the basic, two-year ROTC program was mandatory for all physically qualified incoming freshmen, except for veterans of military service. An advanced ROTC program for juniors and seniors was optional and selective, and those completing the program were commissioned at graduation as second lieutenants in either the regular Army or the Reserves. The University’s first ROTC graduates were commissioned in May 1955.


May 1988 – Dedication of St. Ignatius of Loyola Statue and Fountain

statueThe University’s iconic bronze sculpture of St. Ignatius of Loyola (titled Metanoia, or Transformation, and sculpted by artist Gerhard Baut) and its fountain base (titled “A Celebration of Life”) were commissioned for the University’s Centennial celebration in 1988. The fountain was dedicated in May 1988, and in October, Rev. Peter-Hans Kolvenbach, S.J., superior general of the Society of Jesus, blessed the sculpture during a historic visit to Scranton.

Disclaimer | Site Map | About Us | Contact

© 2014 The University of Scranton. Scranton, Pennsylvania 18510 (570) 941-7400